Thursday, October 23, 2014

Lightning fast

Yesterday I handed an Amazon free-return package to a UPS driver just before 5:00 PM. I see this morning that by 6:24 PM Amazon had issued a refund. So relying just on receiving the scanned label information, they played the odds I was returning an item in appropriate condition, or that I was returning it at all. Or more likely, they know I have a reliable return history.

I have wondered how efficient the new distribution scheme is, in the long run. Are the trucks like red blood cells coursing through the body delivering oxygen exactly where needed? And if taken to the extreme of having no retail stores at all, would maximal energy efficiency be reached?  It's all very convenient, I must say. Of course there is a lot to be said for drifting through a department store, looking and comparing.

I have ordered two very similar hanging toiletry bags which look like they may have been made by the same company, but one is duded up with zipper tassels and a maker label. The $16 one has free returns, the $11 one I can give away if it does not work out. I want to find out if the cheaper one has elastic bands across the back of the large compartment, and how much I mind that the more expensive one has a black interior. As you may have surmised by now, my personality profile is FN.

14 comments:

Shouting Thomas said...

I had the opposite experience. I returned an iPad that didn't match my order via UPS and it took two weeks to fully work out the return and refund.

I've got plenty of time, however, since I'm retired. The urgency has gone out of most things.

Speaking of Meade and his mate, have you seen how ferociously the black racist is reaming them out in his blog? Bizarre. Whatever else you may say about those two, they've tried to help him out in every way possible. No good deed goes unpunished!

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I was surprised to learn that a toiletry bag is not something you're supposeed to crap in.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I'm pretty sure that lightning fast is faster than three shakes of a lamb's tail.

But maybe it's not faster than the blink of an eye.

I should think that lickety-split is pretty darn fast.

If you're in court, and you can work in a reference to "with all deliberate speed," you'll almost always get a laugh out of the judge.

Lawyer humor.

ricpic said...

...there is a lot to be said for drifting through a department store, looking and comparing.

Not for half the population there ain't.

deborah said...

ST, Althouse and Meade took a calculated risk. When you lay down with dogs, etc. Crack's current bashing of them (I have not been there in months) is just another meta layer on their pitiful game of racist tag.

I was amused that on their
anniversary Crack bestowed his blessings on their union, saying he'd been wrong to say they weren't really married because they were both divorcees.

deborah said...

lol Bat, you still have it.

deborah said...

Ricpic, trust me, there is a significant section of the male population that loves shopping, for which see both of my brothers-in-law.

Christy said...

Maybe it's just me, but I heard echoes of Crack in the postings last night of Meade. Was that really Meade? Could Crack be a Meade avatar? My brain explodes just thinking about it.

Christy said...

Twenty-five years ago I made my sister a set of travel bags - organizer, makeup, toiletries, jewelry - that she still uses. I love that stuff. Rarely met one I didn't want. Oddly enough handbags bore me.

deborah said...

Christy, I just read through Meade's comments, and they look like the real deal. They're definitely separate people, and at the most they'd be sharing accounts.

I like handbags. It's fun searching for the perfect one. I LOVE shoes.

Funny, I was considering how difficult it might be to make an organizer. When I was a teen I made my mother a hanging shoe organizer. Did a really good job, pleats and everything. Wish I had a picture to show you.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

lol Bat, you still have it.

I do.

But sometimes I wish somebody would take it away from me and destroy it.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

For the good of humanity.

Shouting Thomas said...

I recommend reading the black racist's ravings over the past couple of days, if you can stand it. It's informative.

He's reaming out the mistress at TOP mercilessly. She's an abominable racist!

There's some very black humor in that.

She and Meade have been kissing his ass for years. A lot of good wearing the hairshirt has done.

MamaM said...

Christy, I just read through Meade's comments, and they look like the real deal. They're definitely separate people, and at the most they'd be sharing accounts.

And you know this how? Sometimes what looks like the real deal isn't, and vicey versa.

"Quick as a wink" would be my contribution.