Monday, September 1, 2014

Guns 1748 -- Plunkett & Macleane



He is the highwayman, the the reason her hand is bandaged and the reason his face is marred. 

Flop at the box office, it has become something of cult film. Comments to the uploaded clips rave. 

Sample comments: 

• My Favorite film ever... music is beyond good. x

• Oh snap! He doesn't like the cut of his jib!!! Pwned!

• I adore this film. thanx for this scene, would you mind posting anymore

•  Have we met before, sir?" "No, but I have a very familiar face...voice and physique." Hahaha, that's because you tried to rob them the night before, Macleane.

•  Watched again yesterday and still a terrific film.This scene starts with Maclean and Rochester arriving at the ball and THAT intro is the best bit in the movie.

•  @madhammu I liked that movie a lot actually but I laughed out loud when I read 'epic shitfest'. I like the cut of your jib sir.

•  Best scene out of an amazing movie. The mix of modern music and classical is brilliant!

•  "I am an excellent judge of character and you sir are in defecit." #classic

Plot summary.

Two men of different social positions vie for possession of a ruby that was swallowed during a robbery, the thief killed. They both end up in prison and use the ruby through the well-positioned Macleane to buy their freedom. They begin a successful partnership in crime using Macleane's connections and Plunkett's scheming to rob them. Until Macleane blows it by falling in love with the femme fatale and revealing their secret. 

It's always a woman innit. 

They're nothing but trouble. In movies.

The two want to make off to America. Trouble ensues. Plunkett leaves Macleane to the gallows but then rescues him. As we sympathize with the protagonists, an inversion of good guys VS bad guys, the film resolves to a satisfying conclusion.

Full film, or 90 minutes here

5 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

I liked the year 1748 because one of my top sourdough starters is Carl's 1847 Oregon Trail. A numerical transposition!

The sourdough starter is free on the internet offered by Friends of Carl who keep alive Carl's generosity of giving his sourdough starter to anybody who asked for it. It's a thing. I am certain the sourdough of 1748 was as good. After all, it is the only thing people had before Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a particularly virile and gassy yeast cell, was isolated.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I'm having a hard time getting around the idea that the guy got beat off and has yet to hang.

The Dude said...

Odd choice of background music. I didn't like the cut of its gigue.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I don't believe I've seen this movie before.

ricpic said...

The whole test for a young man is when an authority figure says "I don't like the cut of your jib" or "I've got your number" to slice right through that resistance like a knife through butter and pursue whatever he's after, be it fair maid or that first step up the ladder.