Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day



You may not know that Kris Kristofferson joined the U.S. Army and achieved the rank of Captain. He became a helicopter pilot after receiving flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama. He also completed Ranger School.  During the early 1960s, he was stationed in West Germany as a member of the 8th Infantry Division.  It was during this time that he resumed his music career and formed a band. In 1965, when his tour of duty ended, Kristofferson was given an assignment to teach English Literature at West Point.

On this day, and every day, I miss my father and my uncle Nick, both Navy veterans.

Dad fought on Guadalcanal.  He was one of forty in his battle group who survived.  Uncle Nick went in as a Pharmacist's Mate, served in combat, and stayed in the Navy to become a Psychologist who treated vets at several VA hospitals for decades after the War.

7 comments:

edutcher said...

Considering Kristofferson's later problems with awards from the military, that info surprises me no end.

AllenS said...

There are a lot of well known people who served that never receive the recognition they deserve.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Thanks for sharing Michael, and thank you for all who served. Especially thanks to those families whose loved ones gave all...

ndspinelli said...

Thanks

Aridog said...

Today was a quiet day. I skipped our local parade and attended a Memorial Day Mass at a parish of my best friend. He mentioned all the veterans he knew personally that were present by name, two from WWII in their 90's now. I felt a little awkward. Today is for the dead, you see, but I understand his intent.

We then had a nice lunch, Judi, I and Fr. Zbigniew, simple fare of hamburgers made of prime rib and spices like sesame. Father did the cooking.

Then, once home I spent time with Dera, our dog. Later some children came to play with Dera, specifically to play with Dera...ring the front door bell like kids do...can Dera come and play. All Arab kids, under 10, but ones who've overcome any fear of dogs. Kids who losten...what a treat. That was the best part of my day, and Dera's I'm sure.

A German Shepherd Dog who likes to lie down and be hugged by 3 or 4 little kids at a time. How many are like that?

It's been a nice day. God Bless those who didn't come home with me, or my antecedents in their time, you are why I am still free.

Calypso Facto said...

A little bent like you Aridog at all the misapplication of Memorial Day sentiments towards the living or those who died peace-time deaths, but in the I don't begrudge a little love for any vets on any day.

Kristofferson was quite the prodigy, apparently. I got the Tab, served in Germany, achieved the rank of Captain, and did a few years at West Point too, but somehow I missed out on the whole subsequent music/movies career. Still pretty happy with life on a warm, sunny Memorial Day in the USA, raising a cold one in remembrance and thanks to those who gave it all in some foreign place.

Calypso Facto said...

*in the end...