Thursday, January 2, 2014

"It's Sick and Getting Sicker"

"Veteran New York radio personality Bob Grant — widely credited with inventing the conservative talk-radio format — has died at the age of 84."
Grant began his career as a controversial talk show host in 1970 when he joined WMCA in New York and quickly bucked the liberal slant of many of the other hosts.

The gravel-voiced talker's in-your-face opinions and regular telling off of callers often got him in hot water.
The day the notorious NY attorney William Kunstler died, I called the Bob Grant radio program and I got Bob worked up enough to yell at me. I went on praising Kunstler a little bit too much for Bob's taste. He made me laugh, while telling me off. I used to listen to him and Barry Farber. Before there was a Rush Limbaugh, there was Bob Grant. I credit Bob Grant and Barry Farber with opening my eyes politically.

Bob had a great ability to connect with people. I remember listening to a woman brake down crying over a problem Bob was having with the FCC. There was talk Bob might be fired. One of the several times Bob got in hot water for saying, essentially, what a lot of people were afraid to say.

Bob Grant will be missed.

18 comments:

Trooper York said...

I remember Bob Grant well. He had a show on WABC on Saturdays for the past couple of years.

He was like a crotchety old uncle who complained about everything.

The thing is that I think I have turned into him.

Funny how that happens.

Trooper York said...

He told the truth.

That is why the FCC wanted him off the air.

There is no room for Bob Grant in Bill de Blasio's New York.

Trooper York said...

He did great work during the Crown Heights Riots.

Trooper York said...

I remember he nicknamed David Dinkins the "washroom attendant."

I wonder what he would have called Hugo de Blasio.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

He didn't play favorites either. He was tough on all the politicians.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Mario Asendeme! ... something in Italian, telling off Mario Cuomo.

People called the show just so they could say it.

Trooper York said...

This might be karma.

Lindsey started off with a big snowstorm and his administration never recovered.

Hee.

Amartel said...

Didn't Bob Grant get canned at one point?
Bill Kunstler was a piece of work but he had a charming way about him where he could say awful awful things and everyone would be all oh, that Bill.

Trooper York said...

He was fired because he made fun of the plane crash that killed sleazebag Ron Brown.

Interestingly he was replaced by Sean Hannity on WABC.

Funny right?

ricpic said...

I absolutely loved Bob Grant. He was the only voice of sanity for years. Decades. He held the fort single handedly long before the cavalry - Rush, Sean, Mark and that Savage guy - arrived. Plus he couldn't stand the schvartzes. Just like me. :^0

Trooper York said...

ric when I think of you I see Bob Grant.

Which is funny because he is guinea and not a yid.

But youse guys have the same sensibility. Just sayn'

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

RIP Bob Grant

ricpic said...

I could hold his coat, maybe. He was a fighter.

edutcher said...

He was on the air in Philadelphia on WWDB for a while in the 80s.

A guy that never held back - but, like him or not, a passionate friend of Israel at a time when it was more and more fashionable to sympathize with the crazies.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

ricpic, you need to translate it into Troop: mulignan. Now Crack can denounce you both.

And in NYC news, at least the carriage horses are going to get liberated from working the planation and sent off to the glue factory. How is the snow so far?

William said...

I was sort of liberal during his peak years. I listened to him from time to time, but, at that time, I'd sooner listen to music. He seemed to live in a constant state of agita, but he lived a decent number of years and never stroked out,.....if you didn't agree with him, nothing he said would alter your opinion. Rush is more persuasive and has a far greater sense of humor. I think Rush succeeded despite Bob Grant rather than because of him. Bob Grant made talk radio seem like a small forum for cranky, old men.

William said...

But I would have liked to hear him tear into DeBlasio. There isn't going to be much of a honeymoon period with DeBlasio. Too bad they won't be able to blame Bob Grant's mean spirited attitude for the decline of NY.

ndspinelli said...

"Hello Bob, this is Lem from Jersey, first time caller, long time listener."