Monday, September 9, 2024

On Moving to Red & Putting Pieces Together

 


This spring I put together two sets of squares to form the above pair of tablemats. Hand pieced and machine quilted, I'd made them to accompany a monetary wedding gift for a nephew and his new bride.  My hope was to create something real and tangible that reflected my heart and conveyed my enjoyment of beauty and order, pattern and color, freedom and choice.  Like the money, the mats were sent with love, and are now theirs to do with as they wish.  Whether they end up liking them, using them or sending them elsewhere, the process and the result brought me purpose and pleasure.   

In order to get through these next few months of election uncertainty, I decided this week to start putting together another set of tablemats.  Only this time, I'll be making them for our use with a focus on red, the color of Trump's tie and our kitchen/dining area.  I'm in need of something physical and forward moving to do apart from entering into political spin searching the chaos for news and clues that makes sense.  A project like this will provide something tangible to focus on, and yield results that aren't subject to the whims and control of others.  Just me, deciding what I like and putting the pieces together one stitch at a time.  

1 comment:

edutcher said...

Sometimes, it's all you can do.