Saturday, October 29, 2022

On Spinning Dials and Shaking Things Up

I came upon the cartoon of JB's Moral Compass last week, while suffering through a chest cold.  At the time, I didn't have the energy, focus or will power to post it, as I saw it depicting something more dangerous and real than I could take in and handle while attending to my own reality.  I found it jarring, portraying too much truth to be funny, finding the only glimmer of humor present in it to be the small ping of the loose screw zinging off on the left.  However, that along with the Made in China designator, directional indicators, and lie markers at every turn intrigued me and brought up a sense of appreciation for the artist's craft and insight in taking on and addressing this repellant subject

While I'm now back on the road to my own recovery, I pulled an chest muscle coughing and have that additional misery to contend with as I sit, stand, walk and breathe.  To top things off, the oaks in the forest surrounding us turned brown and started papering our yard and drive with thousands of dropped leaves.  So far, we've one round of leaf removal completed and most likely have another two yet to go as we head into the swirl of more November election drama, and the manipulation and spin that will accompany that.  The big hand reaching in along with the "Noooo!" in the leaf globe cartoon from Powerline's Week in Pictures was enough to make me pause, nod, and smile in appreciation of the feeling conveyed as we attempt to live in and work through this next season of life.  





6 comments:

ampersand said...

Kids, don't leave home without it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66890686@N02/52463111201/in/dateposted-public/

MamaM said...

Ok, I stopped scrolling through the Pics of the Week when I got to the globe pic, and paused to write this post. When I went back to finish scrolling down there, I found Van Gogh's Halloween costume, the Centaur for Disease Control, and what's worth less than a dollar. All of which made me smile, and that means my sense of humor is returning. It leaves whenever I get sick, or sick and tired, or sick, tired, discouraged and repelled. All I can do now though, as it still hurts my side too much to laugh.

MamaM said...

Good one, ampersand. Unfortunately, it's too true to be truely funny, so it's like the Moral Compass cartoon, calling attention to something repellant that needs to be honestly looked at and seen for what it is.

He really does come through has having significant issues in this area and the vibe/energy he repeatedly gives off through his numerous "tells" is real. Something I dare say anyone whose been on the receiving end of an adult to child molestation experience can instinctively and immediately pick up on and recognize.

I experience him as Creepy, Yucky, Smarmy and Caught Up in an addictive, need-driven behavior he can barely keep under wraps, covered in grandiosity (the feel-good, flip-side of shame) and entitlement.

I have a hard time watching videos of him copping his feels and smells with children and joshing young women with his twisted thought-prints. My inner pedometer goes ballistic.

MamaM said...

I sometimes wonder if humor is the only way stuff this off, deceptive, hidden and perverse can begin to be addressed and looked at for what it is. It allows a person a place to land and stand long enough to take a look, when the desire is to turn away from and not look at or hold the discomfort it brings up

MamaM said...

By the way, did you see the recent Daily Mail article on the possiblity of Ghislaine Epstein pimping for her father?

I almost did a post on it, but she's another who creeps me out. According to the story told in the article, behind all the weirdness, perversion and criminal adult behavior she's responsible for perpetrating and being engaged in, there stands a mallable child. A little girl looking for love who became entangled in a web of aberrant behavior, lies, perversions and trauma that became part of the life she is now accountable for acting on as an adult. Uggh. Another one of those ugly human stories I'd rather not have seen. Except reading it helped me gain a little more awareness of the sordid mess that extends beyond one sick person, family or marriage, with national and global implications yet to be revealed.

The article ends with this: A photograph captures Ghislaine at an event honouring the memory of her father just three weeks after his death.

In the Trump Plaza hotel in Manhattan, she is sitting at a table populated with champagne glasses. Beside her, laughing at a joke, is Jeffrey Epstein.

Ghislaine is staring at him, fascinated. They look like lovers. Another powerful, unscrupulous monster has taken her father's place. She is about to step on the rake — for a second time.


I really liked the last line. The author nailed it. At the same time, it was Ghislaine who was responsible for taking the next step.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11342083/Did-Ghislaine-pimp-father-met-Epstein-JOHN-SWEENEY-unravels-complex-relationship.html

edutcher said...

This has been building for a long time, a century, if not more. I guess we're on the cusp (if not directly in it since '16) of that 4th turning.

MamaM said...

I sometimes wonder if humor is the only way stuff this off, deceptive, hidden and perverse can begin to be addressed and looked at for what it is

Why do you think combat soldiers develop a weird sense of humor (It only hurts when I laugh)?