Friday, October 7, 2022

On meeting your heroes

The wife and I were talking about autograph shows for some reason and she asked a great question. If I had a choice, who would I like to meet at a show or a Comic Con or something like that? It sort of took me aback. Because most of the people I would want to meet are dead.

We were talking about how many of the people who were on sit.coms or TV drama’s go to conventions and make a good living meeting and greeting fans who loved their shows. They bask in the love that these people have for their characters and even if they are long out of show business, they still make some coin. I think of people like Burt Ward who was Robin or Buzz Patrick who was Eddie Munster. They go to autograph shows every other weekend. Lisa has a friend who goes all the time and has tons of photos and stories about meeting some of these stars of yesteryear.

So, I came up with my top ten list. In reverse order


Ten would be Steve McQueen. Star of such classics as “The Magnificent Seven”, “Bullitt”, “The Great Escape”, “The Sand Pebbles”, and of course “Wanted Dead or Alive.” Do you know he only did 44 projects? That seems a dipropionate impact based on a short career. Still I would love to talk to him.

Nine would be Charles Bronson. Now he was notoriously short tempered and not good with fans but I would love to chat about “The Dirty Dozen” and “The Magnificent Seven.”

Eight would be Joey Heatherton. If you ever read my blog you know why.

Seven would be Dan Blocker. I want to ask Hoss about how it was on the Ponderosa and the true origins of Hossaroni.

Six would be Elizabeth Montgomery. I need all the details of “Bewitched” and show she could be so hot for so long.

Five would be Barbara Eden because I still Dream of Jeannie and I want to hear all of her stories.

Four would be Chuck Conners. I need to know about playing for the Celtics and the Brooklyn Dodgers and then going on to starring in one of the all-time best TV westerns.

Three would be James Arne’s. I would want to talk about his heroics in World War Two and what he did at Anzio. As well as being the Duke’s protégé and all of the years he starred on Gunsmoke.

Two would be Angie Dickerson. Well, you know why.

One would of course be the Duke. The Quiet Man. My favorite actor and personality. I am sure he would have a lot to say about what is going on today. I am sure I would agree with all of it.

Who would you want to meet?

 

3 comments:

ampersand said...

There aren't any celebrities I'd want to meet, there are places I would love to see like,
1st century Rome, Pompeii and Alexandria Egypt
6th century Byzantium
16th century Mexico, before the conquest
Manhattan when it was a wilderness
New York City in the forties.
Pre War Berlin.

Oh for a time machine.

MamaM said...

Ted Kooser: A former insurance executive turned award-winning poet and writer, this author of the acclaimed look at the Nebraska heartland, Local Wonders, says that he has what he calls ""wolf vision"" -- an ability that lets him see every change in the landscape around him.

He's 83 years old now. What I read in an article about him four years ago was enough to prompt me into imagining and then renting the studio space where I go most days to paint.

edutcher said...

First, it's Butch Patrick, Chuck Connors, and Angie Dickinson.

Ten?

Yul Brynner, Olivia, Charlie (he did an interview with Cavett that showed a very different side of him), maybe some of the character actors (Strother Martin, Dub Taylor, etc.), some of the guys that personally turned the tide in WWII (Walt Ehlers, Len Lomell).

Winnie Churchill (of course), Saki, Poe.