Monday, April 19, 2021

On Clicks and Caladiums, In Memory of ChipAhoy,

 


The picture above portrays one of the real results of the many enthusiastic recommendations delivered by and received from ChipAhoy, during his time as a commenter, co-contributor and blog host at Levity.   

His recent death on April 1st, leaves those who appreciated him and the seemingly boundless bounty and overflow he offered, with a deep sense of loss.  And that sadness is accompanied by keen appreciation for the many unique contributions he made and the humor and creativity he revealed.   

I wish I could find and post another picture I recall that conveyed even more essence along with his desire to follow his interests, engage with life and make a difference that mattered; but I can't find it, so a description will have to do.  It was a photo he'd taken of the front of the tall tan colored apartment building where he lived in Denver that showed a green rectangle of verdant life filling up and spilling over the edge of a balcony situated in the middle of the building--the balcony that held the garden he'd planted (from seed and bulb) and tended outside his slider door.  It was the only spot of life and color on the face of the building, and it looked like an oasis of an abundance in the middle of a desert of sameness.  At the time I printed it off as a visual example of the positive difference one person can make when they follow their interests and heart.  

There was often a link at the bottom of his posts on the food blog he maintained, "Things Wot I Made Then Ate," that was labeled "magnificate to full glory".  And clicking on that link would lead to more story, pictures and description.  While I'm guessing magnificate to have been one of his words, it captures what could and often did happen through the many clicks that took place to connect with the pictures and stories, pop-ups  and animations, enthusiasms, opinions, and information he shared.  

Whatever rest or invitation the afterlife might hold, it’s my hope and belief the clicks of goodness realized through him and invested in on this side of things will continue to grow, invite wonder, and reveal glory.   I'm planning on planting more caladiums in the swan this summer, and may even use the word magnificate if I come on an occasion that calls for it.

Update:  Here it is!!  Chip's balcony garden,  Aug 20, 2017
 




23 comments:

edutcher said...

I knew all those organ failures at once weren't good, but you always hope.

Chip reminded us all of the importance of knowledge and curiosity in a full life. He was a Renaissance man when such are rare and unappreciated.

Some Seppo said...

I'm saddened to hear of the passing of ChipAhoy. I always enjoyed his quirky posts and he seemed to take his health challenges in stride whenever he mentioned them. He will be missed.

Calypso Facto said...

Oh no! I had not heard about Chip's passing yet. What a loss. Such an artistic talent in everything he did, delivered with a generous side of sass. I'm going to miss those surprise side trips into cooking, and gardening, and origami, et. al., in his stream of consciousness style. RIP, Chip.

Calypso Facto said...

Thanks for passing along the news and the lovely remembrance, MamaM.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Thanks for this, MamaM. Chip liked all the things we know about Chip - He liked to cook and eat, pop-up books, he was obsessed with Egyptian life and culture. and yes - his lovely green oasis on a balcony in Denver... to name a few. His on-line photo and his youthful embrace of the above made me imagine him much younger than he was.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

That said, Bob was only 67.

bagoh20 said...

For me, ChipAhoy was the most fascinating online personality I've known. He and I seem to be nearly opposite types, and I wish I had just 10% of what made him different from me: his creativity, his humor, his talent and his sweetness. He had tons of all of that. I always felt a sense of awe and envy for what he could do. We are all lucky for seeing him and his work while we could. I wish I would have told him that when he was here.

Darcy said...

Aww. RIP Bo. My husband and I met him once for dinner in Denver. I think about him every time I pass the Federal Reserve building downtown because that's where he told us he once worked.

His online presence was just lovely.

MamaM said...

I'm reminded of this phrase from scripture committed to memory as a child: "Now we have this treasure in jars of clay" with the uniqueness of the treasure he held and shared often in evidence.

News of his death was first posted in a comment on the previous thread, along with a link to a very brief obituary announcement stating his name and life dates.

Some of the many animations and pop-ups he presented here at Levity and at Althouse, going back to 2007, can be found at his blog http://bour3.blogspot.com/

With this as one I remember in particular:
http://bour3.blogspot.com/2007/12/miracle-happens_17.html
When asked about it, he'd said it came from a scene on display in his home, comprised of the many Chia sheep he'd collected over the years.

The Dude said...

The Chip man was one creative and talented person. I like to think I am creative, but Bobby took it to a whole 'nother level. The graphics, the cards, the books, amazing. He left behind quite a legacy of productivity and I hope someone is there to gather up the parts that have meaning to them.

Also, that's pretty cool, Darcy, that you got to meet him. For all of the connections we form online, over years, rarely do we get to forge bonds in real life. What do we look like, what do we sound like, what kind of quirky mannerisms do we have? Those questions can be answered just by meeting and talking.

You did a lot of good work in your too-short time here, Bo, and as I wrote, you will be missed.

XRay said...

Chip did not have an easy life, necessarily. But he sure as hell made use of what he did have. I'll miss the stories of his childhood, in Japan and elsewhere. His writing was evocative and clear. He'll be missed. Thank you MamaM for the eulogy, well done.

Dad Bones said...

Thank you, MamaM. He was one of a kind. I can't think of anyone to compare him to.

Tank said...

Very sad to hear this . He was a truly talented and creative guy.

Darcy said...

Thanks Sixty! We are happy to meet up with any Lem's regulars here in Denver if you're passing through! Please know that is a genuine offer.

I think we are due for another Bruce drive by soon. Aviations on deck.

chickelit said...

I think we are due for another Bruce drive by soon. Aviations on deck.

Prolly May 6th and leave out early the next morning. And please get some regular gin not the Empress blue. I'm bringing back a lot fresh citrus from my trees to WI so you don't even need bother with the lemon.
For those curious about the aviation: link

Darcy said...

That's easily done. The Empress blue was pretty but I want the real deal.

We will toast to ChipAhoy. God bless him.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I don't drink anymore. Liver issues. But I do enjoy a good mock-tail. or a glass of water... with lemon.

The Dude said...

I am reminded of several lines I have heard in my life - when speaking with my brother he said "I don't drink any more" to which I replied "You don't drink any less, either!"

I hope he has since stopped as he was headed for a bad ending the way he was knockin' 'em back.

A coworker back in the '70s said "Do you want to be a liver or have one?" I opted to keep my liver, thank you very much.

All of this levity is meant to offset the reality of life and death. All of us deal with health and medical issues and we keep on truckin' right until we don't. Perhaps I will write something on this subject...

The Dude said...

There it is - I remember that. Well done!

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

The building is so pink. It's like Casa Bonita!

Fr Martin Fox said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Chip died. Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace.

MamaM said...

Multiple mentions and pics of caladiums can be found in the archives, along with several close-up views of the Blooming Balcony from different years, and posts detailing his penchant for giving away bags of caladium bulbs to old friends and appreciative neighbors!

Of Course, Chip knew just which grower produced the Finest Kind of bulbs with the best service and packaging, with "Floridaboys.com" as his recommended source.

Unfortunately, starting them from bulbs didn't work with our low spring temps and short growing season. Even so, it was his enthusiasm and pictures that resulted in me calling around and driving to a greenhouse an hour away to pick up caladiums already to plant

The post at the link below was the one that prompted me to comment with a commitment to trying some caladiums next year, as the cannas aren't doing the trick and the swan definitely needs something more graceful. And in May of 2019, I followed through. For the past two summers we've enjoyed their beauty outside, and inside the house in cut flower bouquets on the table.

https://comonocreerendios-lem.blogspot.com/2018/08/balcony-railing.html