Sunday, December 20, 2020

My Favorite Carol


This one goes back half a millennium. It's been sung in Gothic cathedrals and country churches. These days it's a favorite with Bluegrass groups. There are many, many different versions, but always at the heart is this story:
Joseph and Mary walked through an orchard green
They saw berries and saw cherries fair to be seen
As Joseph and Mary walked in the wood
They saw cherries and berries red as any blood

Oh, then bespoke Mary so meek and so mild
"Pluck me one cherry for I am with child"
Oh, then bespoke Joseph with words unkind
"Let him pluck thee a cherry that brought thee with child"

Oh, then bespoke the babe within his mother's womb
"Bow down you tall tree and give my mother some"
Then bowed down the cherry tree to his mother's hand
Then she cried "See, Joseph, I have cherries at command"
A wonderful little story, barely a hundred words. Always embedded in standard doctrinal lessons, no doubt to allay any misgivings the parish priest or minister might have, but a nice, funny little story about human nature. A joke, in fact.

Its scant three verses are full of humorous tropes. Not refined humor, either, but earthy, farm-and-village stuff:
  • The old man who marries a young wife
  • Pregnant women with odd food cravings
  • “Cherry” as slang for virginity
  • The jealous husband who thinks he's been cuckolded
  • And that old favorite, “Be careful what you wish for . . .”

Nor is the story itself particularly refined:
  • Mary picks the breeziest, most flippant way to tell Joseph the news: “Get me a cherry, honey – I'm pregnant.”
  • Joseph replies with sharp sarcasm: “Whoever got you pregnant can get you your damn cherry.”
  • Jesus thinks, “Whoa, dude – that's how you talk to my mother? Watch this!”
  • God, no doubt chuckling in His beard, delivers the punchline.
  • And Mary can't resist a last little dig: “Oh, look, Joseph – cherries!”

So every character in the story, including God, is a wise-ass. Which means that every character in the story, including God, is acting distinctly human.

And there's your Christmas Message.

2 comments:

Trooper York said...

Nice tune but not my favorite Carol.

MamaM said...

This song came to me via a CD purchased years ago (during what I refer to as the second half of my life) through Goodwill. It was definitely not part of the repertoire of music heard and learned in the churches and schools I attended during the first half when mysteries were supposed to be accepted by faith with no room for curiosity, doubt or different perspectives, much less laughter or jest.

I've enjoyed the song every year since when I haul out the Christmas CD's, sensing some of the humor and turns involved, though not with the awareness this post invites. (I haven't got them out yet this year, startled to realize last night that is was only five eves away-I attribute that to Covid Time-which has been changing things up time-wise for me since its arrival in March.

The words to the version I know has Joseph letting his anger fly, with the father of the baby brought into the picture. Thanks for sharing this.

Mary said to Joseph
So meek and so mild
Joseph
Gather me some cherries
For I am with child
Joseph
Gather me some cherries
For I am with child

Then Joseph flew in anger
In anger flew he
Let the father of the baby
Gather cherries for thee
Let the father of the baby
Gather cherries for thee

Then up spoke baby Jesus
From in Mary's womb
Bend down
The tallest branches
That my mother
Might have some