Wednesday, October 14, 2020

When you think you are the Duke but you are actually Hank Worden.




While the handfasting was going on I was filming it with my phone. I happen to have a phone case with a painting of the last scene of the Searchers where the Duke stands in the doorway of the house holding onto his arm.

As soon as the ceremony is over this dude rushes up to me to tell me he teaches film at a college and that he saw my phone case. He tells me that he always teaches the Searchers and that surprisingly his students actually pay attention to it and enjoy it unlike some of the other famous films he teaches. He then askes me if I know the significance of the pose and of course I told him it was a homage to Harry Carey who was a mentor to the young John Ford. He was a little nonplussed that I knew but we had a nice discussion about film so there was that.

The other thing that happened was that there were two dogs at the wedding. One was the overweight bulldog owned by the bride who wandered around and followed me all the time because he thought I might be dropping some food. I guess he figured that us fat fucks had to stick together.

The other dog was a rambunctious puppy who was running around all over the place. Everybody was trying to pet it or play with it but he was dashing around non stop until he was exhausted. Of course at the end of the night he comes over at sits at my feet. Actually on my feet and under my chair to go to sleep. You see animals love me. They always come over to hang out with me. I tell my wife that it is my calm spirit. You see I am saintly. Like St. Francis of Assisi. I'm a freaking saint I tell you.

I was just lucky that Winston didn't decide to sit on my feet.


2 comments:

The Dude said...

Did Bob Hope Natalie Wood?

edutcher said...

The Duke said in an interview it was his idea, but, yeah, Harry Sr was the inspiration.

PS That's another section of "A Man's Gotta Do...".

Your Work Here Is Done.

The lone man (sometimes men) who are good at taking down the bad guys, but know quiet society really doesn't want them. They're grateful, to be sure, but a man that good with a gun doesn't have much place on a family ranch or in town.

The Lone Ranger, Shane, Chris and Vin. Driven men, some of them. Others who know they'll just never fit in.

For the Virginian, his gunfight with Trampas is an anomaly. He marries Molly, stays on at Sunk Creek for a while, but eventually gets his own spread.

A few, like the real Bat Masterson, realize their time has past and turn to something else. Others, like the real Wyatt Earp, settle down with a girl who understands him. Kit Carson tries to stay settled, but duty keeps calling until he can't live after the death of his wife.

Bill Hickok died with a bullet in his back because he couldn't draw on another man after he accidentally shot his friend, Mike Williams. Buffalo Bill married a psycho chick and she drove him to drink.

But these were the men who won the West.

(that just kind of came to me; Troop, I guess you are my muse)

PS Old Hank was a good man. He never failed the Duke. Looks mean nothing. Think of Pedro Gonzalez in "Rio Bravo".

Which may be another paragraph.