Saturday, October 24, 2020

New York is a ghost town.....so many ghosts


 The Nat Sherman cigar store on Fifth Avenue has announced that it will close after 90 years
. Yes Cuomo and DeBlasio have done everything they can to destroy New York and all of it's institutions.

Back in the day in 1980's when cigars were in their heyday I would be invited to Nat Shermans for events where they premiered new cigars. Actually my buddy was invited as he had a space in their humidor for his cigars but he was always invited to bring some friends who were into the hobby. I would always spend more than I wanted too and would buy a couple of boxes of cigars. We often went to other events like the cigar cruise around Manhattan that was pretty cool. It was a five course dinner with a cognac and cigar for every course. A lot of fun.

Fun that doesn't exist in New York anymore. They control where you shop. They control how many people can meet up in a bar. They have destroyed the only reason to live in a city.

Another landmark pulled down and destroyed. 

6 comments:

The Dude said...

I like breathing, I like to have a regular heart rhythm, I try to avoid head and neck cancers, but dang, once in a while I sure do miss having a nice cigar.

Did I ever tell the story of the time I smuggled some Cuban cigars across the American/Canadian border? They were nice cigars, expensive, but damn, smuggling nearly killed me. I am not cut out for that line of work.

Trooper York said...

I smuggled some Cubans back from Canada back in the day. I shoved them down my pants.
The Canadians were impressed.

The Dude said...

Yeah, I just smuggled cigars. You far-up-north types are kinky, just sayin'.

edutcher said...

Sounds like it's time for Gotham to rebel.

ndspinelli said...

Do men even give out cigars anymore when they have a kid? I did in 1987. And, I brought home some Cuban cigars in Jan 1987 from Colombia when I went to get our son in Colombia. I didn't give those away in May 1987 when our daughter was born!

ndspinelli said...

I also brought home some emeralds. I consulted w/ a Jew jeweler on how to pick out good ones. He had been to Colombia several times.