Friday, September 4, 2020

A New Natural History

The Huff (left) and a Gloat near a patch of I-Told-You-So. 

The Hoodwink on a spray of Ragamuffin. 

Left to right: the Thesaurus, the Stereopticon, and
the Hexameter. The tree is a Sacroiliac.

Thurber, of course. These are from his A New Natural History, which, along with a whole lot of other good stuff . . .


. . .can be found in Alarms and Diversions, one of his best collections. You can download it for free, in PDF, EPub, HTML and a bunch of other formats, here.

5 comments:

The Dude said...

Very cool. Thurber was a genius.

Coincidently, I have been working on a rabbit design for the last couple of days based on seeing a lot of rabbits in my yard this year. My design is a nice folk art sort of leaping rabbit, not a death from above killer rabbit like Thurber drew. Perhaps I need to steal from a better source, eh?

The Dude said...

I looked up hexameter because I really liked that critter. This is what I read "Hexameter is a metrical line of verses consisting of six feet."

As a carpenter who uses American units, I know six feet equals seventy two inches. There is a reason I did not do well in English class and it was this poetical stuff that killed me.

Mumpsimus said...

Speaking of poetic feet -- two of the other critters in A New Natural History are the Spondee and the Trochee.

rhhardin said...

Good find. Go to main page, T, Thurber, and pick "Let Your Mind Alone!" self help send-ups.

rhhardin said...

If you knew morse code as a kid, poetic feet are easy to memorize for the test.
DISTA
DAMNU

remember those two. One's the first letter of the meter name, the other's the morse code for the accents.

I haven't checked that I've remembered it all correctly but I bet I have. It's a mnemonic, or as a girl wrote in a work memorandum once, pneumonic. She remembered there was something weird about it.