Monday, December 2, 2019

Video, things I made then ate in 2013

It makes me a little bit sad.

Because it shows more enthusiasm more energy than I have right now. It shows people who died, restaurants that closed, markets that moved, homes and places that will never be enjoyed again.

It shows quite a lot of avocados actually being used. Now I buy avocados and throw them away a week later for failure of being deployed. The last three met that fate. And so will the next three.

I told my friends that I never get around to eating all the bananas so I learned to beat the system. Now I buy a bunch of bananas, eat one while unpacking the groceries and throw the rest away while still unpacking.

It shows an interest in pretzels, pizzas and sourdough cultures, pastas, steamed buns, pierogis, and raviolis that I do not show now.

There are 458 photographs that display for 1 second each. Music starts about the 50th frame and runs for 6 minutes 22 seconds to the end.

This only hints at the work involved. One photograph here can represent 20 to 30 photographs in a post describing the process.  Only a few of the posts have only one photograph. Some posts have some 20+ photographs showing every step of the process then someone will comment asking for the recipe.



One guy wrote a cookbook with the expressed intention of not including recipes, rather, he discussed what was going on and how to determine why certain ingredients are included and how to intuit how much to use. The thing is, when you look up a recipe for a specific cake you will see all sorts of variations in specific elements and amounts but with no explanation why the amounts are chosen. 

Everyone hated it. 

People are just so concrete. When you don't specify exactly they go nuts.

Conversely, anti-cookbooks are popular. Amazon suggested to me a satire cookbook category. Some books in the satire or humor category are about cocktail drinks and I am not interested in those.

Tequila Mockingbird, for example.

Other titles are gratuitously profane. Fuck that. 

One is written in the style of H.P. Lovecraft. It's rated 5 stars by people who like that science fiction. The recipes are actual but they're written weirdly with even more weird illustrations. 

Another humor cookbook is Bob's Burgers. The titles of regular hamburgers are funny. The actual hamburgers are reasonable. That also is rated very highly. People love the television cartoon. They love the whole attitude.

You Suck at Cooking is based on a popular You Tube channel with two million subscribers.  Written by a male college student. 

15 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I hate wasting food. I get mushy bananas too and then have to make banana bread (which I don't even like).

You can buy single bananas.

Avocados mostly get eaten.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I liked the video (great looking food)--but I wouldn't have picked that music. A better beat for chopping inspiration is needed

ndspinelli said...

There's a convenience store chain in this area that always has bananas for $.29 lb. So, I just buy them in small amounts and have very little waste.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

It's annoying that they bundle the bananas now. I often de-bundle and take the 3 good ones on top. Yes - it was me.

ndspinelli said...

I seldom take a whole bunch, but they only bundle organic bananas around here. You an organic woman>

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

twitted it.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

OT.

I have good news. I was approved to drive Uber. I had assumed people with breathalyzer machine in the car could NOT become Uber drivers. I was wrong about that.

Most limitations are self-imposed indeed.

You may congratulate me now ;-)

windbag said...

That is good news, Lem. Congratulations.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

Great news, Lem!

Yep - I buy organic. but Not always. I base my banana selection on how they look. If the non-organic look better, I buy those.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

bananas are cheap. even the organic ones. the price diff is like 10 cents. big whoop.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I cannot watch the food videos all the way thru. I get too hungry!

ndspinelli said...

Lem, I bet you get good ratings from passengers. Good luck.

Dad Bones said...

Wishing you good trips and big tips, Lem.

MamaM said...

I have zero interest in watching 458 one second displays of food someone made then ate in 2013. What I'd find interesting is how the energy provided by the food ingested was used for good that year after the person who used it got rid of what the body didn't need or want.

Also curious how the same body that took in all that food is now receiving the potassium it currently needs if the bananas are being left uneaten and tossed?

Buying as many bananas as I want by pulling the bunches apart to get the amount desired has been my method for years, and it seems like a simple solution to tossing guilt. Reduce the number taken by one or two each shopping trip and find the amount that works with the least waste.

Congratulations Lem on reaching the goal you were aiming for through daily focus and persistance! A faithful journey matters.

MamaM said...

Grief is the name for the little bit of sadness that comes up as a natural response to loss. Grief can also include anger, guilt and disbelief, with those three often showing up ahead of the sadness when one's health or way of living is compromised.