Monday, October 21, 2019

Everything I ate nine years ago.

I stopped uploading to Photobucket and they smacked an unsightly label across all my images and put them out of focus.

:-(

They say that I exceeded my limit but that is not true. 

So I'm going through them one-by-one and downloading the originals and re-uploading them into Blogger. This has turned into a massive chore. 

Or, I could just pay them their extortion money. Forever.

It restores them beautifully. They're fantastic when they all come back into focus and without an unsightly obscuring banner that says, "This schmuck hasn't paid his extortion money to us for insisting we own his photos just because we offered to host them for free then changed our minds as time went by because the whole thing got way out of hand with billions of photographs." 

Along the way I discovered this video in January 2011 recapping 2010 and at first I was all, oh crap this is goofy, and then I was all, hey, this is fun.



Here's the thing: Over a decade ago I saw a YouTube video of a young man who took a cell phone photo of everything that he ate for a whole year then ran all the photos through a video program.

Impressive. I liked it a lot.

I thought, now that's a rather remarkably dedicated project for a young person to do while he is busy with school.

His video went: hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke,  hamburger fries and coke for a whole year.

The photos of food reminded me of when I was a student and I often ate at fast food places downtown near Auraria campus after work while waiting for a class to begin.

His photos made me sad.

His year of being a student and eating was ultimately depressing.

I cast back to my own similar period and recalled all the things that I learned at the same time as working and earning a degree on my own. I recalled how much traveling I did, how much skiing and eating on the slopes and in mountain condominiums and mountain restaurants, and how many great non-skiing restaurants I went to in town and while traveling that weren't fast food that also taught me how to cook. And how many parties I went to that were catered and gave me ideas. How many catered events I attended that made me think, hey, I could make this. How many parties I hosted in which I did all the cooking both indoors and out of doors. I catered my own parties, I cooked for my own dinner parties. And none of it was kid-stuff. All of the things that made my life rich were absent in his dedicated project.

His video was good, and inspiring, but also very sad.

And then I thought I can definitely do a bit better than that if I can just stick with the project.

Both with food and with photography.

His video was one year.

Now I have twelve years so far.

I no longer travel so extensively and I no longer attend nor host so many parties. But I do make nearly all my own food.

I make my own bread and I generally make my own pasta.

But not always. Sometimes those little elbow ones are not worth the trouble. And I've been having a lot of those lately. Jazzed up instant ramen too. When you make fresh pasta it's soft and sometimes you want it al dente and that means you need enough time to dry them and that is a specifically moisture controlled process that takes days but I live in Denver where it dry as a desert. They can dry in one day but that's too fast and causes them to crack and break all over the place.

Because I want them to have egg in them, you know what I mean?

You can always put an egg on the cooked pasta but it's not the same richness of noodle.

6 comments:

Known Unknown said...

Photobucket sucks.

ricpic said...

Too fast, too fast! Each image too fast for the salivation gland to kick in.

Trooper York said...

I can show everything I ate in the last nine years.

Just look at one of my shirts. Just sayn'

MamaM said...

Back to limited imagination on my end again, as I can't imagine watching a video of all the food a person ate in a week, much less a year or nine or twelve, and NOT finding it sad, no matter how well done it might be.

I didn't know what to do with the albums full of pictures my mom and dad took to document their world travels. No one in the family wanted them. My elder brother is now storing them in one of the four decrepit mouse ridden truck trailers situated in the cornfield running alongside his property, which means they will most likely turn to dust as well.

I still have a box of my dad's journals, written in tiny writing on small tablets with the fine point Cross pen he always had with him. The entries mostly detail what he ate, where he went and what the weather was like. I've faithfully held onto them for twenty-five years, much like someone might do with an urn full of cremains. I'm about ready to let them go as well, thinking a fire might be the most honoring and expeditious way to do it.

ricpic said...

I got up I ate I ate I ate a third time I went to bed I got up I ate I ate I ate a thir.....what? you're not interested?!

MamaM said...

No, I'm not! There is something endearing about my dad's journals, but it's more than I can handle, take in or know what to do with, right down to little sketches of how the food was arranged on the airline food tray when he traveled overseas. I'm guessing he found the whole experience marvelous, but it's up there in the foible category.