Thursday, May 16, 2019

Heather Green for Epicurious compares whiskey

She's a character.



I'm impressed she can taste all those little differences. 

I'd fail this contest. 

My test results are predictable

Scotch A tastes like kerosene 
Scotch B tastes like kerosene

American Rye A tastes like kerosene
American Rye B tastes like kerosene

Irish Whiskey A tastes like kerosene
Irish Whiskey B tastes like kerosene

Bourbon A tastes like kerosene
Bourbon B tastes like kerosene

Japanese A tastes like kerosene
Japanese B tastes like kerosene

Stranahan's Whiskey is a few miles from where I live. The cost of their whiskey is from $30 to $90. I think.

I think I'll tour the place by myself. The people I've asked to join me keep putting me off. Nobody seems to be interested. Yet everyone has toured Coors in Golden. *whispers* And that's an incredibly ugly facility. Talk about brutalism. Even prison guards agree, that's just way too much raw concrete. 

I think I had whiskey one time and it wasn't so bad. I think it was a whiskey sour, but I'm not sure. If whiskey sour can be made with Southern Comfort, and if it is sweet, and if it can be made in a batch in a 2 quart pitcher, then that's what I had. But only once. Only one time in my life I drank whiskey and was surprised it didn't taste like kerosene. So there is hope for me yet. If there is a cocktail that makes it taste like something else, then I can drink it. Same thing with coffee -- so long as it's heavily disguised. With sugar and cream and vanilla and cinnamon or something. 


3 comments:

edutcher said...

I thought it tasted like iodine.

The Dude said...

Were I going to consume whisky, it would be Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban - that is the best. It kills one's liver, but do you want to be a liver or have one.

Trooper York said...

I was never a fan of whiskey. I always thought of it as an old mans drink. You know your Dad or your Uncle would order a Dewars and water. You would take a sip and spit it out. Let alone straight whiskery. I bet every kid poured himself a shot of straight whiskey and slugged it down like John Wayne.

And they you puked.

When I did a shot and a beer I always did Jamesons. It was a lot smoother and I got to like it a little. Never Bushmills. That was for the Prods. If you ordered it in some of the bars in Sunnyside you could catch a beating in the 1980's.

Things were different then.