Monday, April 1, 2019

Emily Dickinson, Hope is the Thing With Feathers, translated by Eric Epstein

Eric has two videos of this poem posted to YouTube. Apparently he's had insights about its meaning. His first video is dissimilar to his second.

Hope is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.



Ha ha ha ha ha ha, stop it, Eric, you're killing me.

This is a first. I've never seen Emily Dickinson done anything like this. It's like punk metal Emily Dickinson. It shouts a voice that whispers. It's like sticking dynamite in Emily's Dickinson's butt. 

Did you see "feathers?" 

I did, but not anything standardized.

Feather 2 (enter "feather")
YouTube (yuk) 

Apparently feathers are plucked.


I'd like to see Eric dressed up as Emily Dickinson and do this poem. He seems to understand her differently than most.




2 comments:

Trooper York said...

I love poetry on the blog Chip.

ricpic said...

He's signing to get his rocks off not to get out of the way of the poem.