Monday, December 10, 2018

Asparagus

A very long time ago, 2/3 of a life ago, a friend insisted I accompany him to a horse pasture he knew of a few miles north of our location on Sheridan. Right next to the busy street tucked up a small hill on a side road. It was asparagus season and he wanted to show me the places it grows wild. But we must hurry because the horses like them too. They spring up overnight and boom, the horses get them.

I didn't care about asparagus.

I never bought it, but now I do. I bought a whole bunch of vegetables, fruit and berries for a new juicer. The machine wasn't even unboxed. I wanted to get started right away. I bought a whole shopping trolly filled with everything I could find. And after all that I spaced out celery. One of the most useful things for diluting the harsher greens like kale.

I bought asparagus, but then at home I thought "Oh man, this is going to taste terrible. I couldn't even imagine it. Asparagus is all wrong for juicing." I'm hesitant to use it for its intended purpose.

John Kohler to the rescue.



I like this guy, John Kohler. He is an indefatigable salesman. Very repeat-y across videos.

My machine is an Omega like this one, but a better model. 

Today I juiced a small pineapple, and equal mass of carrots, a large cucumber, and a handful of basil. The basil goofs up the pleasant color by darkening it unattractively. It made only 34 oz of juice. Two  16 oz containers plus 2 oz. Delicious. A bit odd and interesting.

Today I drank three 16 oz containers instead of Coca-Colas. Had I bought them at the nearby juice store that would have been $24.00. 

The great thing is, I got the nutrition of all those vegetables fruit and berries. Nobody eats that much vegetables. It's not possible. They'd be chewing all day like a cow.

1 comment:

Amartel said...

It is the dawning of the age of asparagus.
I’m going to try this juicing thing!