Wednesday, August 1, 2018

More fermented food.

Just skip it if you're not into this. This video was suggested by YouTube algorithms and displayed at the end of another political video, and I go, hey! I like that guy.

Maybe you'd better not watch it. He picks at his face all the way through then sticks his hands into the fermentation brine and the whole way you go, gross. Gross. Gross. Gross. Gross. Quit grossing me out.

But aside from that he does impart very useful information. He apologizes for it being so long. His subscribers are thrilled to have these ideas.

I never liked sauerkraut. But I think that's because I've only every had the vinegary kind. I'm sensing I'd like this, if I can only get over his persistently describing it as "funky." I'm not sure I'll like funky food.

Oh!

He disparages Tabasco as plain straight chile sauce. The chiles are aged for three years in barrels. They don't use the word fermentation, but that must occur as part of their similar process.



There are better and longer videos about Tabasco sauce on YouTube, but this one does show the basics. 

I thought they grew all the chiles on their little island, but now I learned they send their seeds to Latin America. The place where the chiles are grown will make a bigger difference in taste than the genetics of their seeds. And now that Latin America grows them, they have their own seeds. And those seeds, all the seeds, will change over time. So, protect the genetics all you like, the taste of the chiles will still be different, and they'll even vary at the same location over different seasons. It's bringing all that together and blending all of it, that makes a stable product over time, like Budweiser, you can count on it being consistent. If that's what you want.

3 comments:

The Dude said...

Hey, we were just talking about movers and shakers!

And, in California, household shifting is free and easy.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

One of my all time favo tv commercials.

ken in tx said...

I've been making my own kimchee since Fathers day when my daughter gave me a fermented food kit. I use ordinary grocery store ingredients, no fancy oriental stuff, except fish sauce. I use Garlic powder, onion flakes, ginger powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, chili powder, cabbage, broccoli, celery, carrots, radish bulbs and greens, plain salt and well water. It smells and tastes just like the kimchee I remember from Taegu.