Thursday, April 19, 2018

7 magical ingredients

I wish my dad was alive so I could spring this on him. I'd buy the things separately and present them together as a kit. An infallible flavor kit.

It's actually a bit of a pain in the butt.

Because you're forced to ask, what is the best mirin to use, what is the best sake to use, what is the best fish sauce?

I've bought sweet mirin and I've bought dreadful mirin, both from the same Asian market. I've bought delightful sake and dreadful sake, both from Argonaut Liquors. I've bought fish sauce that's just crap and I've bought fish sauce that has aged depth. I've read countless contradictory reviews. Amazon reviews are nearly hopeless this way. Some people despise what other reviewers love. It took a LOT of research to find the right things.

So then, for ease of purchasing and for your convenience, here is what I've found.

1) Fish sauce. Red Boat. Amazon $14.90 17oz. 

2) Toasted sesame seed oil. Anywhere

3) Takara Mirin

4) Sho Chiku Bai sake

These two items, mirin and sake are perfect and inexpensive, $18.00 for three bottles (2 mirin and 1 sake) but shipping over doubles the cost. If you live in Berkley then you've got it made. Here in Denver, the three bottles plus shipping cost $40.00. They shipped in a very attractive and careful package, like a gift box, and protected from damage. Takara Sake, USA took impressive care shipping three bottles at once. When I run out, I'll buy it again. For me, it's worth it. And I don't intend on living without it.

5) white sugar, anywhere.

6) soy sauce, anywhere.

I've been trying different soy sauces. Presently I'm hooked on one that is aged and fermented beyond the usual time. And time and care is expensive. Another thing wrapped as a gift. It's 3x more expensive than Kikkoman that is top rated otherwise. Our taste is accustomed to the harsher more aggressive type, and that's fine.

7) rice vinegar, anywhere.

That's it. The amazing flavor septad. Basically 1 teaspoon each, except triple soy sauce. Possibly less toasted sesame seed oil. I've used this combination with all types of vegetables, chiefly with fried Napa cabbage, and that combines with the liquid that comes from the vegetables or is added such as chicken stock, bonito and kombu dashi, beef stock, or plain water, they form a sauce that is irresistible and deeply satisfying. I've used it with soba and miso and seafood, dipping for fried things especially tempura, It's very good with mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash and shrimp.

Yesterday I mixed it with cheap hamburger meat that left grease all over the pan and produced the best tasting hamburgers that I've ever eaten and that's why I'm writing this post. So far everything that I've put it in, including pot roast and green chile was improved by it. The flavor ingredients changed what I consider panty essentials. And I see now why Japanese cooks always have these elements right there at hand cluttering their workspace.

I wish I had discovered them sooner.

1 comment: