Thursday, March 15, 2018

Here are the politicians that took dirty, bloody money from opioid tycoons

The reporting is the work of Ethan Barton writing for Daily Caller.  I saw the item on IOTW who is more interested in having us know Democrats received $110,000 more than Republicans did.

Incidentally, IOTW stands for I Own The World. Their excerpt promises but not not deliver, "these are the people who accepted..." I wanted to see names. Instead they excerpt the preachy part about OxyContin being opium-based and the company's owners being billionaires who paid off politicians and the difficulty of tracking the exact amounts because the activity is dispersed through fronts and at the state level.

But that's okay, the link to Daily Caller does name names and when you see them, if you chose to click over, you'll be surprised. I cannot ethically list them here that would be ripping off Ethan Barton's work,  I can say the piece is more interesting than I had imagined. They have a lot more good useful information than just the names. Ethan Barton describes the legislation these contributions affected and the social damage that resulted from that legislation.

I can say something personal, as I was reading what oxyContin is, a pall fell over the whole room that I'm in and I was suddenly drenched in palpable dread as suppressed memory bubbled up I was put back twenty years to darker place, to my worst weeks on earth. My own doctor prescribed some kind of opiate, a weird drug different from the others. It had to be kept refrigerated, in a small brown bottle, something about it was liquid. The memory is liquid. I forget how it was taken. Probably like cough syrup.  I recall thinking, good, at least I can be high and out of it through all this, but that didn't happen. The drug was a disappointment. It did not relive any pain, and it did not relieve diarrhea. It didn't do anything. It was just trouble to deal with so I didn't finish the bottle or renew the prescription. It was not addictive. Too not fun and totally useless for that to happen. I think my family doctor thinks in terms of what drugs he can prescribe that will help. While my thinking is how much of the medical world can I avoid. We're at odds that way.

4 comments:

edutcher said...

I have no problem the Friend of Angelo is second on the list, but a little sad to hear Lieberman was first.

Chip, I know from experience it takes a lot of guts to do what you did.

Kudos.

Mumpsimus said...

The Daily Caller piece is sanctimonious bullshit. Painkillers, like food and drink, are an Undoubtedly Good And Useful Thing that people can use to damage or kill themselves. Except that way, way, way more people damage and kill themselves with food and drink than with painkillers. And nobody's snarling about lobbying and "dirty, bloody money" from distillers and fast-food "tycoons."

AllenS said...

I wanna know who are the politicians taking money from those companies providing all of those hand held devices causing all of the traffic fatalities.

MamaM said...

I'm guessing Paregoric. We had some on hand in the old days (fifty years ago) as a remedy for vomiting. The taste was horrible, but it did calm things down.

Paregoric, or camphorated tincture of opium, also known as tinctura opii camphorata, is a traditional patent remedy known for its antidiarrheal, antitussive, and analgesic properties.

According to Goodman and Gilman's 1965 edition, "Paregoric is a 4% opium tincture in which there is also benzoic acid, camphor, and anise oil. ... Paregoric by tradition is used especially for children