Friday, February 2, 2018

Disney Princess, pop-up book by Matthew Reinhart

The name Matthew Reinhart tells you right off the book is going to be huge and complicated with elaborate main pages and with smaller pages placed in the negative space that pop-up mechanisms create. Sometimes two or three pages themselves. Each one worthy of its own larger page. So when you count them all up there are scores of pop-up mechanisms in the book. Very much more content than in books like Welcome to the Neighborwood, Paper Blossoms for all Seasons, and The Raven, all worthy books, but simple by contrast and a little over half the cost. If you are comparison shopping and thinking in terms of mechanisms for dollar value then Reinhart wins hands down. Mechanism-wise his books are worth five times as much. Whereas the regular constructor uses the form to add interest for children, Reinhart creates pop-up mechanisms because he's quite mad and he cannot stop himself.

And that's why we love him so.

This book is gay.

It's for girls.

$43.55 on Amazon. Spanish version $348.00. Other sellers new for $78.00 to $270.00.

1 comment:

Chip Ahoy said...

I just now read reviews for this book, naturally the worst ones first. A two-star review said they ripped the page on the second viewing and that's why they marked it so low. Other people complain about the same thing. They bragged about knowing pop-up books, about collecting 50 of them. [big deal, that ain't nuthin.] They averred, "I know pop-up books."

1 comment to the two star review; "Come on, be a sport. Glue it."

No sympathy. Such a funny person. That's just the sort of thing I'd say myself. I looked at the name and it's me.

I forgot about that.

I crack myself up sometimes.