Sunday, February 4, 2018

#Crockpotisinnocent





"This is Us" is a very popular TV show. I get to see it because it is also broadcast on Hulu a streaming service. Hulu seems to only show NBC shows so I get to see all the Chicago shows a week later after it airs on cable.

The premise of the show is that it shows a lot of flashbacks about this family that originally had triplets and one of the kids died at birth. So they adopt a foundling that was left at a firehouse the same day. That kid is black. Of course. Just consider yourself luck that he wasn't transgender.

Anyway most of the show is flashbacks and they are different then most shows. Why? Because it shows the father who is a straight white male in a positive light. I mean he has issues. He is alcoholic and has a temper but he is still seen as a good provider and a loving and generous father. He dies when the triplets are seniors in high school and they danced around how he died all last season. The big reveal is tonight after the game on a special episode designed to get monster ratings.

Last week they sort of let the cat out of the bag. You see they had a crockpot that someone gave them seventeen years earlier and the wife used it to make chili for the game. Of course she left it plugged in and it starts a fire. It is a horrible fire and the Dad rushes around getting everyone out. They don't make it explicit but I think he goes back in the house to get the daughter's dog and dies. Which leads to her life long guilt and other issues.

The funny part is the crockpot people lost their shit. They are obviously sensitive to the fact that their product is used in a scene that kills a beloved TV character. Most people are wary of having them anyway. Who wants something plugged in and cooking overnight? Most of us are paranoid about something like that working overnight thinking of course it can cause a fire and we will burn to death in our sleep. Shit my grandmother used to unplug everything when we left the house. The TV. The lamps. Even the freaking refrigerator. So this scene plays into those fears.

The show and the Crockpot people found a cute way to address that. This promotion and the hash tag campaign is promoting the Crockpot and letting people know it is safe. I know it is. I don't know if Chip uses one but I am not a fan. It just never seems to cook things properly. I have made things in it. Chile, soups and stews. But it never seems to cook right. I often cook stuff half way and then put it in the pot. I would brown the stew meat and braise it in red wine. Maybe caramelize the onions. Then put it in the pot with raw potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Add some broth and spices. The veggies can cook over time but it never seems to work right with meat. I guess I just prefer my old fashioned banged up stew pot. I am old school when it comes to cooking.

We are not watching the moolies on the game today. The National Felons League is dead to me. Except as a subject of japes and mockery. So we are going to watch a movie. The wife wants to watch "Wonder Woman." I am holding out for Thor. Maybe we will watch both. But we will catch the Crockpot episode tomorrow on Hulu.

But know one thing.

The Crockpot is never innocent.


10 comments:

ricpic said...

Okay, I'll never see this show but I watched a few minutes of something called the after-show and the degree of angst! I don't remember a single fraught moment in the household I grew up in. The worst thing that ever happened was when my Dad blew up because my Mom would always serve London Broil instead of steak. to save money of course. But angst about relationships, whatever they were...never. Is there really all this crappy nonsense about failing to be a perfect Mom or a perfect Dad in the general population? Mainly I was ignored, thank God.

ampersand said...

My neighbor is an oldtimer who was born and lived near Bari, Italy. I asked him a few years ago what a moolie is, he looked confused and asked in what context, when I told him he busted out laughing for several minutes he managed to say "eggplant" then laughted for several more minutes. All I have to do to get him to laugh is to say moolie.

Trooper York said...

It is an east coast guinea expression.

The only problem is that some of them are hip to it.

So you're more woke racists like me say "tizzun" which means "Charcoal briquette."

windbag said...

I'm watching National Geographic this evening. Watching exotic animals in South America somehow seems more patriotic than listening to overpaid douchebags talk about overpaid douchebags play a game. I just wish Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was still on. I miss Marlin Perkins.

Trooper York said...

I am going to watch a movie.

Right now I am cooking Pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe.

windbag said...

This video is from a nearby town. Graphic footage. Guy ran from the law, crashed his car, then didn't believe the cop when he was told to stop or get shot. Weekends are fun here in the Southern Highlands.

Chip Ahoy said...

I don't have a crockpot and never used one.

Although I do braise things in the oven.

And I really dig the Electric Pot that is basically the same thing except with pressure. I turned out some excellent Kielbasa sausages cooked on low pressure for a long time. I fell asleep. It turns itself off.

But you know what's a bummer?

I looked at some 25 videos of people using their new Electric Pots and that made me realize they really don't know how to cook. A boy made spaghetti by dumping a jar of prepared sauce to be heated, and that can be done with any pot. A lot of other people did similar things. The best that they do is make short work of long-cooking meat like ribs.

William said...

Well, Brady won't have a perfect life after all. I'm kind of sad to see that. I'd like to see someone do that just to show that it can be done. Maybe Giselle will get depressed and start gorging herself on grapefruit halves, and their life together will start unravelling.......Wonder Woman was a pretty good movie. Gal Gadot sells it. Of all the women who have recently saved the universe, I put her just behind Jennifer Lawrence.

ndspinelli said...

Crockpots are a crock of shit.

bagoh20 said...

I was at a local bar & grill here in Vegas for the Super Bowl, and that fire scene came on after the game. I never heard of the show and didn't know what I was watching, and I couldn't hear the audio, but I was entranced by it. It completely took me in as Dad was trying to get everyone out. I only saw that few minutes of it, but it stuck with me. I really related to the Dad's dire situation. Why didn't they immediately jump out the windows? I was yelling: "jump out the window!" I didn't see how it ended.