Tuesday, January 16, 2018

100 words every middle schooler should know

This a list that comes from an education website. I'm not even sure what grades middle schoolers are. Not elementary, not High School, so probably 6th, 7th, 8th. They're good words that everyone knows. So that's no challenge for you at all. But do you know their equivalents in other languages?

I didn't look for this. It came up when I was looking for a list of spells in the collection of Going Forth by Day. There are two hundred spells and they're mostly in hieroglyphic but all I can find are spells in specific famous scrolls and I have those already and they're all incomplete. Nobody collected them all and compiled them and nobody collected them all in hieroglyphs. So far I haven't had luck finding a complete set in hieroglyphics. Most are kind of dumb anyway. I just want to see them. The best sets are in hieratic and they have only the best spells. Then this word list intruded into that search.

What follows is this middle school word list put into 100 abbreviated gifs showing their ASL equivalents, the best that I can. There are some strange entries, like "momentum" I used "movement + push + power" while there were other plenty of other options available. "Opaque" is "see + through" but I left out "partly" or "half" or "milky." For a lot of them a very good deal of the meaning is the facial expression and the bit of charade or pantomime or acting out that goes into expressing, for example "waver" is shown as "hesitant" where true waver has a back and forth, iffy and indecisive quality to it, and the guy doing it acts out an uncertain person very well.

In the list, "weather" is defined as "endure hardship" and not as climate. That would be a different sign, usually "wind."

Power and force and energy are shown different ways, usually an arm muscle,  while there is also coercion of forcing a guy's head down, and energy can be electrical. So, "stamina" doesn't have a sign that I know while lasting energy is easily shown. These sort of choices run through the whole list. So then, yes, we do know all the middle school words and it's a lot of fun showing them.









































































































2 comments:

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

There was a point in high-school when my vocabulary peaked. I was so ... ah what's that word? oh yeah - smart. I was mocked by peers for sounding smart, using big words.

Now - I'm just a simple-minded simpleton. It's all gone.

edutcher said...

In 4th grade, everybody got a dictionary. I was always very wordy (a lot of TV, I guess), but, when I got home from school, I'd read that dictionary.

I'm talking like a book, not a reference.

But any kid who's made to read is going to accumulate a decent vocabulary.

And being called smart, like saying someone is acting white, is what they say when they know you're smarter (and better) than they are.