Monday, December 4, 2017

Police officer adopts opioid-addicted newborn from homeless woman.

The police officer already has four children.  He's being called a "guardian angel" after responding to a robbery resulted with him agreeing to adopt a pregnant homeless woman's baby.

Ryan Holets of Albuquerque police was investigating a convenience store robbery. He walked behind the building and found a woman getting ready to inject heroin.
I just felt God telling me to tell the woman I'll adopt her baby because I can.
The woman lives in a tent by the highway and she knows what a mess she is. She desperately wanted someone to adopt her baby.

He said that he runs into a lot of situations where he wishes he could do something to help and this time he felt that he could.

He got into his squad car and drove straight to his wife to inform her of his life-chaning decision.

She says, he already knows her heart on the issue. He knew she would be totally onboard with it.
The couple had no time to spare, though. Three weeks later, Champ gave birth to a baby girl, Hope. However, because of Champ’s drug use, Hope was born addicted to opioids, called neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS). The syndrome can cause a lot of problems for growing infants like increased irritability, autonomic overreactivity and gastrointestinal tract dysfunction, as well as developmental disorders later in life.
Weasel Zippers.

7 comments:

edutcher said...

Good on the cop.

For her...

ricpic said...

Okay, I'm going to give my gut reaction. Which is that people like this cop and his wife are literally incomprehensible to me. What we have here is not a failure to communicate, as per that chain gang movie; what we have here is a failure to comprehend... on my part. I have no such connection to humanity. I guess you either have it or you don't.

Leland said...

When I first read this, my gut reaction was a bit negative. I worry about a government official taking children under any reason and making them their own. I personally see that as a slippery slope that I care not to take.

In this case, I don't think we are anywhere near that slope. This woman has an addiction problem she cannot shake. The child she has does not need to live with a similar addiction. The guy happens to be a cop, which is a government official, but he is behaving as a regular good Samaritan to provide a home for the child.

Good on the cop.

edutcher said...

ricpic said...

what we have here is a failure to comprehend... on my part

The case can be made the cop and his wife are enabling the junkie. Your point is not without merit.

Sometimes it's kind to be cruel.

MamaM said...

Twice in the last week, I had to handle sparrows that had become stuck in my bird feeders. One had pushed through a small opening in the suet feeder and couldn't back out, and the other had its head caught in the closing squirrel proof door of the feeder I've used for the past twenty years with only one other incident (involving another sparrow).

Both times after freeing them from their deadly predicament, as I've held their tiny bodies in my hand, I wondered what more I needed to do for them, what part was my responsibility and what was better left to nature. Both times, I decided to leave them in the semi-protective cover of leaves under a shrub, and let nature take its course.

I wonder if the cop in this story has encountered a number of trapped sparrows he's had to leave in "as is" condition, with this one this time presenting him with a situation where he felt he could do or offer more that might make a difference.

AllenS said...

The only thing that I can think of doing is giving that man and his wife is a round of applause.

AllenS said...

Sorry about the BJ Clinton thing of one too many is is.