Thursday, November 2, 2017

Why is anyone voluntarily talking to the feds?

William Jacobson asks this question at Legal Insurrection. The professor says that nothing in the Manafort indictment has to do with Trump and Mueller was unable to flip Manafort against Trump, apparently, so the pressure increases. While Papadopoulos is more interesting, his being a process crime, lying to the FBI and obstructing justice. Mueller is just getting started but so far no surprises.

Jacobson urges his readers to watch this video of one of his law school classmates that was recommended on Twitter by member Jeff B. Jacobson includes another tweet by Pope Hat saying the same thing emphatically with each word capitalized with its own full stop and calling all the talkers Incredibly. Stupid. Arrogant. + an epitaph I'd be slapped into next week by my dead mum were I ever to speak it.

The video is long. You can speed it up like you're Mensa reading a book really fast, but Jim Duane already sounds a little bit like a chipmunk, you know, how some people talk like doodly-doodly-doodly-do even though what they say is quite smart.

Recommended. Because you never do know when this advice could be useful. I see people on t.v. shows actually take this advice and each time I think, bummer, the whole line in the story arc comes to and abrupt stop, and in real life they'd be ushered to a cell to wait until a lawyer can be arranged for them. It's not like your own lawyer is sitting by the phone drumming their fingers impatiently waiting for you to call so they can rush to your rescue. The advice is hard to act out. Actually impossible. I would naturally start blabbing my perception of events to be cooperative.

One time after an automobile accident, clearly my fault, the cop asked me if I'm on drugs, and I was, some serious medication that flat kicked my ass solidly, so I said, "yes." The cop honestly didn't know how to handle that. Nobody ever admits that. Confused with a new situation they had to call a medical cop to the scene to sort it. They contacted my family physician for reaffirmation. They treated me very well. Respectfully. One of the cops drove me home. Later, when I related what happened to my friends they found that unbelievably ridiculously funny and still do. That's now one of their favorite stories to re-relate in groups just to embarrass me by emphasizing how incredibly stupid I am. They shake their heads in disbelief. And it never fails to get a good laugh. "Come on, you dope! You never tell the cops you're on drugs." But I was. And that's what caused the accident. And I'd do the same thing again. I have cruel and arrogant and noncomprehending friends.


3 comments:

AllenS said...

Wise words.

ricpic said...

Fire his ass, fire his ass, that's what I think of Mueller;
Is that harder than getting an answer, an answer from Ferris Bueller?

Leland said...

I read Popehat's lawsplainers, but then clicked to his own comments about a Twitter subpoena where he admits violating his own advice to not talk as he explains the Twitter subpoena and what he thinks it is all about. Good stuff, particularly as it shows how hard it is to resist temptation.