Tuesday, September 12, 2017

WKRLEM: Sinead O'Connor - Oro Se do Bheatha Bhaile





Sinead O’Connor is ‘fed up’ with being called crazy

By Jill Robinson, The Sun September 9, 2017 New York Post

Sinead O’Connor has given an emotional interview about her troubled life and reveals she is “fed up of being defined as the crazy person.”
The “Nothing Compares 2 U” singer has had a troubled life, having spoken out in the past about the physical and sexual abuse her late mother, Marie O’Connor, subjected her to as a child.
Sinead’s mom died in a car crash when she was 19, and now the 50-year-old has opened up about the continuing problems those terrible memories have on her.
In a preview clip of her emotional interview with TV psychologist Dr. Phil, Sinead says: “I am fed up of being defined as the crazy person; the childhood abuse survivor.”
Explaining what she went through as a child, she adds: “She [her mother] ran a torture chamber. She was a person who took delight in hurting you.”
When Dr. Phil asked what she loved most about her mom, the singer replied: “What I love about my mother is that she’s dead.”


Sinead – who has battled with her mental health for a number of years – reportedly asked Dr. Phil to be interviewed just a month after she shared an emotional video on Facebook where she hinted at having suicidal thoughts.
The Grammy winner posted the 12-minute footage on Facebook in early August, revealing she was all alone and struggling to live every day.
Weeping, Sinead said: “I’m all by myself.
“And there’s absolutely nobody in my life except my doctor, my psychiatrist, the sweetest man on Earth, who says I’m his hero, and that’s about the only thing keeping me alive at the moment… and that’s kind of pathetic.”
“I want everyone to know what it’s like, that’s why I’m making this video.
“Mental illness, it’s like drugs, it doesn’t give a s*** who you are, and equally what’s worse, it’s the stigma, it doesn’t give a s*** who you are. I guess I could never recover from my bitter mistake of refusing to give Trooper York a Dirty Sanchez in the bathroom of  "The Quiet Man" Pub on Forty Fifth Street after the Saturday Night Live Cast party. My life would been so much different. Woe is me."
The Irish singer has previously revealed her health struggles, having to undergo emergency surgery in 2016.
The star also sparked concerns last year when she disappeared for more than 36 hours after going on a bike ride in Chicago.
Following her Facebook video, The DailyMail.com revealed Sinead is in a hospital in New Jersey and a pal also revealed on her Facebook page she is “surrounded by love and receiving the best of care.”


9 comments:

Methadras said...

She has no one to blame but herself.

Trooper York said...

I know.

If only she had got a Trooper York Injection back in the day she would have been able to face the world with a smile.

edutcher said...

Sick puppy.

Of course, look at her background and it's hard to see how she turns out differently.

AllenS said...

Crazy yesterday, crazy today, crazy tomorrow.

William said...

Some of them do crazy stuff to sell records, and some do crazy because they're crazy. Britney Spears apparently pulled out of her tailspin. Maybe Sinead will have a happy ending. I certainly hope so. For all the blurred lines in her mind, there's something sharp and clean in her voice. .....By way of contrast, I'd like to see Madonna put on fifty pounds and marry some sleaze who takes half her money in the next divorce.

MamaM said...

For all the blurred lines in her mind, there's something sharp and clean in her voice

Yes. And the poetry of that line, along with the truth and grace present within it, is why I continue to read here.

We are born looking for someone who is looking for us. When a mother is abusive, the child she abuses and misuses lives in fright without solution.

When a parent or caregiver is abusive, the child may experience the physical and emotional abuse and scary behavior as being life-threatening. The child is stuck in an awful dilemma: her survival instincts tell her to flee to safety, but safety may be in the very person who is frightening her. The attachment figure is thus the source of the child’s distress. In these conditions, children often disassociate from their selves.

MamaM said...

More on disorganized attachment here: https://www.psychalive.org/disorganized-attachment/

With this from Daniel Siegel:

“When children’s attachment needs are unmet and their parent’s behavior is a source of disorientation or terror, they may develop a disorganized attachment. Children with disorganized attachment have repeated experiences of communication in which the parent’s behavior is overwhelming, frightening, and chaotic. When the parent is the source of alarm and confusion, children are in a biological paradox. The biological system of attachment is constructed to motivate the child to seek proximity, to get close to a parent at a time of distress in order to be soothed and protected. But in this situation the child is “stuck” because there is an impulse to turn toward the very source of the terror from which he or she is attempting to escape. This is what attachment researchers Mary Main and Erik Hesse have called “fright without solution.” It is an unsolvable dilemma for the child who can find no way to make sense of the situation or develop and organized adaptation. The only possible response of the attachment system is to become disorganized and chaotic.

rcocean said...

Crazy left-wing anti-American bald chick wants everyone to know she's not crazy.

She's sane. Its the rest of the world that's gone mad.

MamaM said...

Sigh.

In her own words: "I became very suicidal. I was a basket case. After the hysterectomy, I was mental..."I lost the plot," she admitted."

And how many read to the end to realize a Dirty Sanchez Rebuff was the prompt for this post?

Regardless of what kind of craziness might cause someone to hatch up and dally around with unrequited Dirty Sanchez scenarios or view and publicly refer to a 50 year old woman as a chick, I appreciated the article.

I understood, for the first time, how and why Sinead came to have a shaved head. Her story, crazy as it may sound, seem, or be, made sense to me. Thankfully, understanding does not require me to be in agreement with all of her beliefs and behaviors.

"When we were children, my sister had the most glorious red hair," the singer recalled, "like that gorgeous woman on that show Mad Men (Christina Hendricks) ... But my mother took it into her head that my sister's hair was ugly and horrible and disgusting. When I had long hair, she would introduce us as her pretty daughter and her ugly daughter. And that's why I chopped my hair off. I didn't want to be pretty. And it was dangerous to be pretty, too, because I kept getting raped and molested everywhere I went."

Later, when she was an up-and-coming artist in the late 1980s and early 1990s, her record label asked her if she'd be willing to grow her hair out and wear short skirts. She said no.

"I didn't want to be sold on that," she told McGraw. "If I was going to be successful, I wanted it to be because I was a good musician. Plus, I came from an age of protest singers."