Monday, May 8, 2017

oh hail

This happened a moment ago. Today started out rather gray and built up differently and more powerfully than yesterday. It nearly hailed yesterday, you could tell the drops couldn't quite form or couldn't quite last, but today was the full blast. A full double blast. The hail storms are usually not this big or this long.


I've always loved the excitement of hail storms. Even the cars sound off their alarms. Bummer about all the damage.

It's tough all over. Up here the little garden that replaced the previous little garden that froze just got beat up, and badly.



Plus frozen.  These are broad leaf coleus. They look destroyed. 

I'm happy that I found a reliable local place. Last year I couldn't find these plants at the places I went so this year I bought some online and that's not best way to go. Except for bulbs. 

9 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I haven't seen a hail storm is quite a while. #climatechange.

Leland said...

I've seen hail storms plenty of times, but I've only seen a layered coverage of hail like in that photo once. Then again, we tend to get hail storms late at night.

chickelit said...

In German, the word is Hagel. It rhymes with Nagel (nail).

Regards, Cliff

Amartel said...

We had hail here (SF Bay Area) back in early March.
(Gotta love that global warming.)
It was very dramatic and it killed all the plants in the garden that had not already been pre-killed for their convenience by me.

ndspinelli said...

Insurance companies HATE hail storms. About 10 years ago a large storm system moved through 3 southern WI counties and destroyed countless roofs and car paint. We had softball sized hail hit our house. Sounded like cannon balls.

ColoradoJim said...

I have driven through some hail storms especially in the mountains but this is the one where I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Massive spiderweb cracks on the windshield and good sized dents in the hood and of course the plastic bug guard in front of the hood and door windows got pretty much destroyed in my Xterra. The hail in my driving area a little east of Golden and near the junction of highway 58 and I25 got to the size of golf balls and a little larger. I wonder if I would have gotten less damage if I kept driving after I got some cracks as I pulled over to the side of the road with other cars to wait it out? Local news show photos of parked cars that got glass completely destroyed. It covered a very large area with hail as deep as 6 inches as I moved south.

Chip Ahoy said...

What a bummer!

Some Seppo said...

When I lived in Denver in the 80's we had a hailstorm so heavy it clogged storm drains and caused localized flooding. As we used to say at School of Mines: You gotta be tough to live out west.

ndspinelli said...

Some, Absolutely. The mountains have their own climate. I like to stay @ ski resorts during the off season. The weather forecast for Breckenridge last week was 60 and sunny. I got a room and as I walked to get dinner I was pelted by snow and sleet! The most direct route for me from the Midwest to San Diego is through the mountains on I-70. It's a crap shoot in May when I travel east, but my trip west in January is like trying to roll a 4. Although, a few years back the weather was perfect when I drove through in early January. Glenwood Springs is my favorite stop. Those magic waters!