Monday, October 10, 2016

"The little people have had enough - not just here, but in America too"

There are fewer than 30 days to go before the US presidential election. It is a campaign which mirrors many of the arguments and conflicts that we have seen recently in British politics, especially during the recent referendum campaign. Essentially, this election is about continuity versus change, with huge doses of personal vitriol thrown in.

When I arrived at the Republican Party convention in Cleveland, Ohio, back in July, I was amazed at the reaction to me over the Brexit result. Normally we follow trends in America, not the other way round, but it was clear that many of the delegates saw Brexit as an aspiration for what they see as the Trump “revolution” against the Establishment. I met many others who were not delegates or political anoraks, who were also keen to talk about Brexit. A group of retired US Navy veterans told me we should have done it years ago. Others were less impressed and shouted at me in the streets. Indeed, this weekend while I was in St Louis, I received some proper abuse on the Washington University campus. (More)

14 comments:

edutcher said...

The little people in america have a bigger voice because they don't have a tradition of subservience.

That said, whatever Farage did to help prepare The Donald for last night's rout was certainly worth the price of jet fare.

bagoh20 said...

Are the midget and troll communities still down with being called little people, and how many votes are really there anyway?

Mumpsimus said...

I like the term "political anoraks." Per Wikipedia:

In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects...In 1984 the Observer newspaper used the term as an alternative term for the prototype group interested in detailed trivia, the trainspotters, as members of this group often wore unfashionable but warm coats called anoraks when standing for hours on station platforms or along railway tracks, noting down details of passing trains.

Amartel said...

It's what individuals who don't bow down to progressive globalism are called in Britain, "little people." I get that Farage was simply referencing his nation's terminology. However, I reject this term absolutely. The people who rely on the state for their security, their talking and thinking points, their dole, those are the little people.
McCain called us "hobbits" which is funny because he kind of looks like a hobbit.

bagoh20 said...

What is the American equivalent word for "anorak"? It is a great concept that needs a word. I was at the Vegas Renaissance Fair Saturday night, and the place is basically anoraks central with alcohol, which is the only way I can endure it. I walked right in drinking a 12 ounce cocktail I brought with me while they were busy searching my girls' purses. Blatant sexism of the highest order, which I support, because witches.

Mumpsimus said...

@bagoh20: I guess "geek" would be the closest American equivalent. But it lacks the hint of craziness that attaches to "anorak."

ricpic said...

It is an outrage that an OUTSIDER would dare presume to be president! An outrage I tell you, Sir, an OUTRAGE!!!

*Twirls moustache*

I'll bet bags considers a guy under 5' 7'' a midget. Well, I'll have you know, Sir............

ricpic said...

What's with that permanent wad of chewin' tobbacy in McCain's cheek (left or right, I'm not sure).

Was that insensitive? Good!

Adamsunderground said...

poindexter?
fanboy?
virgin?

bagoh20 said...

"I'll bet bags considers a guy under 5' 7'' a midget."

Sure, but an alpha midget.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

The little people stakes are too high.

chickelit said...

Lem, I know you're anti-tag, but could you give this a Nigel Farage tag to keep it with the others?

Thanks

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

The blogger app doesn't scroll our tags repertoire. So I'm leaving my post blank for when I m able to log via the computer again.

chickelit said...

Thanks, Lem. I may be one the few here who uses and relies on tags to search and research past posts. I appreciate it.