Saturday, June 4, 2016

KLEM FM

Overheard at Lem's:
Michael Haz said...
Chickelit - I'm surprised that you didn't mention Ron Wilson, drummer for the Surfaris.
Truth be told, I never really cared for surf-era drumming. I thought it was repetitive and regressive for the art. But I love the sound of the guitars from that era. That being said, Keith Moon was originally a surf drummer (or about as much as one could be in 1960's Britain).

Here is a video I made years ago of a song that combines a great guitar sound and great drumming:

It took me the longest time to ID that song. I recorded it off the radio in the late '80's in Madison and thought it was Link Wray. But I was never able to find it in Wray's catalog. A helpful Twitter pal named Jason finally clued me into Shazam.  It's Sandy Nelson "And Then There Were Drums."

Can anyone identify all the makes, models, and years of vehicles in the video?

6 comments:

chickelit said...

I think that's an old Karmann Ghia in the second frame. I almost bought a Karmann Ghia as my very first car.

Dad Bones said...

I almost suggested Sandy Nelson on the Haz post. It was his drumming that helped get my teenage hormones going in 1959.

VW was well represented with 1 or 2 Bugs, a van or two, and the Karmann Ghia. I can't place the woody station wagon yet.

The Dude said...

A '47-48 era Ford woody station wagon.
Karmann Ghia, complete with OEM rust.
There is also a VW Thing in that picture, which was an attempt to profit from Kubelwagen nostalgia.
Next, a '57 Chevy.
A Harley of some sort - not a motorcycle guy so I can't tell you the model or year.
A Mustang - the grill looks like it is a '68-70 era - maybe a Mach I, but who knows?
VW Beetle.
Two VW buses - a Transporter and the old style hippy-dippy bus. Once again, years are indeterminate.

That's what I saw.

virgil xenophon said...

I think you nailed it Sixty..

chickelit said...

Thank you, Sixty!

chickelit said...

Dad Bones said....I almost suggested Sandy Nelson on the Haz post. It was his drumming that helped get my teenage hormones going in 1959.

Which Sandy Nelson tunes got you going then?