Monday, January 18, 2016

Inside a camera at 10,000fps

These are the Slo Mo Guys. Somehow they got their hands on a high speed camera and have more fun with it than allowed in several states. They're in Britain though, so it's surprising. They hurt themselves. They do silly things. They like blowing things up. With their high speed camera they get the best captures ever. They share all this on their YouTube channel.

I'm glad they answered an unrelated question at the end of it because it's the first real concern viewers have when one notices fairly early in the clip, their little Canon is criminally mistreated. Nobody abuses their equipment like that, as if spray painted. I get flour on my camera but that's it. Theirs makes my own accidents, my own carelessness seem fastidious.

It's a very good explanation about shutters besides. Their high speed really does show the shutter action. I've been fascinated with shutters on old cameras, the way the fins move to close in. Like the James Bond movie poster for Skyfall. It's a bit baffling. That type the blades are shaped like flattened flower petals. The concentric ring pop-up card offers a way to duplicate that for a flower that unlike a shutter folds flat for a card and opens and shuts as the shutter does by sliding by each other to open completely flat instead of cupped as a flower. This is a different arrangement of blades and movement. The video really does show how the aperture setting produces a squint between sectioned shades, and it shows why fast moving subject, like telephone pole shot from a fast moving car will record being leaned over due to the time it takes for the band of light to wash over the sensor. One YouTube commenter: "When the shutter opens it was like seeing something magnificent." That made me laugh because I feel the same way.


1 comment:

Methadras said...

Their videos are fun as hell. I also learned something about rolling shutters that I'd never seen before.