Wednesday, November 11, 2015

WW2 Veteran

Hello reddit i am a WWII veteran 
I have done this Iama (Ask me anything) again after my grandson saw a request for WWII Veterans.
I am 89, born on 5/11/1924 in Eastbourne, Sussex. I fought for the British Army in the Royal Hampshire Regiment during the final years of WW2. while my Regiment was on the way to Burma we got redirected to Palestine where we spent several weeks fighting in Jungle gear and Jungle Carbines. I was a teenager during the Battle of Britain and grew up during the Great Depression. I moved to New Zealand in 1953. I can also answer some questions about WWI as my father fought there in every major Battle on the Western Front under the Royal Engineers.
Proof: Me now and In my army uniform with my family just before iwl was deployed. http://imgur.com/CXyvb http://imgur.com/64d6v

Picture of Ron Uploaded 3 years ago

3 comments:

JRoberts said...

My father-in-law, who served in the artillery under Patton in France during WW2, just had his 99th birthday a few weeks ago.

It takes a little "nudging" on my part, but he has shared some incredible stories of his service. I have so much respect for him.

I own father also served in France during WW2 in field hospitals. He passed away before I was mature enough to ask him about his experiences. My great loss.

Our nation will clearly miss that generation when they are gone.

ricpic said...

"I moved to New Zealand in 1953."

I'll bet this guy got up for decades thanking God he quit that tight little island Britain and had the guts to go live in paradise.

Third Coast said...

Those of us that are original Boomers grew up with a lot of guys like this as our dads, uncles, etc. Virtually all my friends in the old neighborhood had dads that served in WWII. My dad and three uncles were all combat vets and, with the exception of my Navy uncle, I never heard any of them talk about their war experiences, even when asked, not once. As a kid, it was a great time to grow up; baseball was the national pastime, patriotism was still in vogue and leftists hadn't taken over the educational system.
Hats off to all of our veterans.