Monday, November 23, 2015

Vocabulary "a" words

Decades ago I kept index cards as bookmarks and wrote words I didn't know, or didn't know for sure, along with the source sentence, then looked up the words later if not needed immediately. Some books were great for card accumulation. Everyone hated me and my words, nobody could stand me. Much later after the words were internalized and used for thinking, used as pathways of thought, I'd look back at the cards and wonder how I managed without them. They all seemed so elementary and stupid, and I mean stew pud.

It's embarrassing.

The same thing happens now online with all these lawyers all over the place except the index cards are mere files and now they never get looked at anymore as the cards did once they're typed, and not handwritten as before. The file on the desktop titled "words" has ... oh, only 1,300 files. Seemed like more than that.


It happens with the files, as it did with the index cards, thousands of them, that more than one entry is made for the same word, meaning some difficulty there sinking in from one encounter to the next and some words get looked up twice. The pattern was that negative words did not sink in so readily but positive words are eagerly adopted and used.

Here's your chance to prove to yourself how much smarter you are than I.

These are the "a" words encountered in English reading. Indented means I'm embarrassed to show them, but there they are. You're going to think, what a dummkopf. The unindented asterisks I still don't know very well and do not use those words for thinking. Here goes.

Pop quiz.

*aut inveniam viam aut faciam
     * abattoir
     * abject
     * absolve
* absquatulate
* abstemious
     * abstruse
* acedia
     * ad finem
* addlepated
     * adduce
* adianoeta
     * adumbrated
*  advertorial
* Aebleskiver
* agglutination
     * agnomen
* agonal
* arorism
* ajouré
     * Allons enfants de la Patrie, Le jour de gloire est arrivé!
* alluvion
* alopecic
* Amalek
* Amanuensis
     * ambit
     * amduat
* Amicus Curiae
* amour propre
* amyloid plaques
* anacoluthon
* analyte
* anaphora
* anaphore
* anatid
* anatine
* andante
* animadversion
     * annuity
     * anodyne
*anole
*anomic
*anomie
* anorak
* anosma
* Anosognosia
* antinomian
* antinomy
* aperçus
     * aphorism
* aphotic
     * apologia
* apophasis
* aporia
     *apotheosis
* apotropaic
     * apparatchik
     * apposition
* approbation
* aprioristic
     * arancini (little oranges) (filled rice balls)
* Arbalist
* architectonic
     * architrave
* archon
     * argent
     * argumentum ad misericordiam
     * arpeggio
* arriviste
* asceticism
     * aspergic
     * assortative
* aston
* asymptote
     * attainder
     * au fait
     * auf wiedersehen
     * auteur
     * auto-da-fé
* Autochthon
     * autogyro
* autophagy
* autotroph
     * ave ataque vale
* avout

11 comments:

Mumpsimus said...

I'd love to see the reading list that produced these words.

edutcher said...

I'd say I know a quarter of them, but 'absquatulate' is a doozy.

rhhardin said...

I made flashcards of The Quintessential Dictionary (I Moyer Hunsberger), a collection of a thousand words you need to read all of Buckley without looking anything up.

It has entertaining examples of use.

I used one of each in each software trouble report, just to make them look up a word each time. You have no idea how annoyed they were. Eventually I sent them the book too.

I'm Full of Soup said...

You gotta love how the internet facilitated rhhardin meeting a kindred spirit Chip Ahoy!

Chip - that is some list - I have heard many of those words but only could guess the meaning of a few..Abstemious means tea totaler?

Hardin- that is a funny story!

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Chip said abstemious..

Chip Ahoy said...

I saw your review of that book on Amazon.

virgil xenophon said...

I knew forty on the list and there were approx another ten that I used to know but now have forgotten thru the fossilization process...nice list. Anyone who has read a lot will over his lifetime will/should recognize most of them

William said...

At this point in my life, I feel that if I have never seen the word absquatulate before then I can probably make it through the remaining years without appearing ignorant in polite society. It sounds like some exercise you do in the gymn. That's another thing I can skip without undue ill effect.

William said...

Some men don't know the meaning of fear. Others are stumped by absquatulate.

Adamsunderground said...

aut inveniam viam aut faciam

"I will either find the way or make [it]."

Or optative, whatevs. Fac it, I say.

deborah said...

rh, I bought that book a while back and my son appropriated it.