Sunday, November 1, 2015

Abschiebebeschleunigungsgesetz


That sign is currently clinging to the Acropolis in Athens. Note the communist signage at bottom right. With all this talk about neo-nazis, isn't it good to see the other side representing?

Didn't we have this talk at Lem's already about international signs appearing in English? I'm suspicious. The last thing I am is sympathetic. At least do your damn signs in your own damn language.

Speaking of foreign tongues, I came across a great new German word tonight: Abschiebebeschleunigungsgesetz.
    
    It's almost too long. Google translate does a great job, rendering Abschiebebeschleunigungsgesetz as "Accelerated Deportation Act," obviating my chance to show off my translation skills. I'll just point out that the German word for "to deport," Abschieben* is buried in there and also means "to shove away." Can you just imagine a brown-shirted Donald Trumpf saying that he was going to "shove away" 11 million illegal aliens?
___________________
*The noun is Abschiebung. The German verb for abortion, Abtreibung, is likewise brutally honest: Abtreibung also means "driving away" as in driving away something unwanted.

No comments: