Saturday, October 3, 2015

Asked....and I hope answered.

 

Rhythm and Balls asks an interesting question........
Is that where Pope Francis wants to end up?

I don't know. And I respect your request for "outsiders" not interfering.

But I am curious to know what Catholics think - just because of the size and influence of their church. They're something like a third of the U.S. population. Most of the ones I know I love greatly and respect what seems to be a sense of community among them ("fellowship"?) that other sects might - again, from my admittedly poor perspective - might lack. I also notice what seems to agitate them.

But re: your question, it seems to position your impression of the Church as a way of promoting conservative values that you personally value. Would that be accurate to say? I'm just curious. Does it generally do a good job of that and has it or does it also promote liberal values, as well? Again, I'm just wondering what your take is. It's not my business so you don't have to answer but I just thought I'd see if you had a take on that.
My impression of the Church is not that it is promoting conservative values. Because I think most of those values are not liberal or conservative. Faith. Charity to the poor. Fidelity to your marriage vows. The protection of the innocent especially the unborn. None of those things should be termed Liberal or Conservative. We can all agree that the Church promotes those values in the spirit of the Gospel and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. That it should promote those values in it's teaching and it's example to the rest of society.

The easy argument that is made is that certain things are liberal and others conservative.Or at least that is the position that some people take because it is easy to hang the argument. Is fidelity in marriage a "conservative value." Or do liberals value it as well. I think they do. But they might be ashamed or reluctant to be candid because it is not "cool" or "hip" or "politically correct." So they say the don't want to "judge." Well you should judge. You should judge that infidelity and the violation of the sacred bonds of matrimony is always wrong. Without exception. The Church preaches forgiveness of sins. We are all born in Original Sin and must seek forgiveness and absolution. But you can't just ignore it before the sincere search for repentance and forgiveness. It is as though the sinner can come in and demand absolution without even being sorry for their sins. That is what I think is the difference between the "liberal" and "conservative" views.
Of course no one is all of a piece. Although I am more "conservative" than most I am against both abortion and the death penalty. I am consistent in the belief that life is sacred. Not everyone will agree. Which is fine as far as it goes. But some things have to be bedrock principles.
I am not a theologian and smarter people than me can explain it much better than me. I just know it when I see it. I see the rush to be "politically correct" and to jump on fashionable topics like climate change and same sex marriage are just wrongheaded in the extreme. There is so much pain and misery in the world. There are so many crying out for help. Persecution of Christians in the Mideast. Marginalization of Christians here in the United States. Why insist that you worry about climate change when it has always happened and always will. It is as though your house is burning down and you are worried that it is a cloudy day.
The Pope has a lot of power. The power of moral suasion. He needs to use it wisely. Not muddle it with mixed signals and secret agendas. 
At least that is how I see it. 



9 comments:

edutcher said...

The problem is Church doctrine and the Bible are pretty specific.

Lefties don't want that. They worship Marx and Uncle Saul and living documents (expediency) and (though they won't admit it) Mammon and themselves. They want to be proven right, no matter how many times their doctrine fails. It's never their fault.

"Conservatives", as such, are willing to go with what works, not necessarily what makes them feel better about themselves (that's the province of what my mother used to call Bead Swingers).

2000 years ago, Christianity was radical. Now it's the system - even the Commies must pay lip service to its values on occasion.

As for Catholics in this country, most of them know they came up the hard way. They get that - the Kennedys' pretenses of class are to mask an ugly past. They also understand there are many parts of this country where they're still not welcome. So they stick together to a degree, but there's been a schism growing since Vatican II between the ones who are Lefties first and Catholics somewhere down the list. You see this with Jews, too.

That's the Borg nature of the New Left - comply or be destroyed. And, like a lot of other things, Christianity and Catholicism may end up being the rock on which it's destroyed.

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

Thanks. That is a very good answer. And thanks for how you put the tag - heh!

bagoh20 said...

Again, the problem is that as a sovereign imperfect person you will hand over your life principles to another imperfect person, because they say you should?

Does he know you, your problems, your strengths and weaknesses? Does he know your family, your friends? If you follow the bible, then the words are there to see for yourself. If you follow the church and whatever it says, then I feel you will confront constant confusion and disappointments as men try to be more than what they are.

I know I'm out of my depth here, but I just don't get it

ndspinelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rcocean said...

As for Catholics in this country, most of them know they came up the hard way. They get that - the Kennedys' pretenses of class are to mask an ugly past. They also understand there are many parts of this country where they're still not welcome.

Oh, Judas Priest. Again with the victimhood. What parts of the USA aren't "Catholics welcome"? You mean the east side of Manhattan? Or Beverly Hills? Or is the directed at some snake handlers in Nowwhere West Virginia?

That's the problem with this country, everyone, and I mean everyone wants to play the victim. Rich white women are oppressed by sexism. Uncle Saul couldn't get into the WASP country Club in 1936, someone called me a Wop or a redneck or my Great Grandfather saw a "No Irish Need Apply" sign back in 1887.

Good lord.

rcocean said...

Great post Trooper. Just reminds me that I was right not to convert to Catholicism because I would've made a terrible Catholic. Anytime I hear some Priest or Protestant Preacher on TV talking about some current political issue it makes my Blood pressure go up by 20 points.

Even worse is when politicians like Kasish or Huckabee defend their political positions with quotes from the Bible, as if Jesus gives a damn about Illegal immigration or Obama care.

edutcher said...

rcocean said...

As for Catholics in this country, most of them know they came up the hard way. They get that - the Kennedys' pretenses of class are to mask an ugly past. They also understand there are many parts of this country where they're still not welcome.

Oh, Judas Priest. Again with the victimhood. What parts of the USA aren't "Catholics welcome"? You mean the east side of Manhattan? Or Beverly Hills? Or is the directed at some snake handlers in Nowwhere West Virginia?


Ever hear "No Irish need apply"? Ever hear of the Know Nothings? Did you know the Union Army lost the battle of Chancellorsville because Hooker's staff wasn't going to let a German-born officer tell them how to run a battle? That, in good ol' NOLA, they tore some poor Italian kid to pieces because they thought he was the Pope?

As for unwelcome, try NE OH. Try the Philadelphia Main Line. I've heard it all my life.

Better yet, read some of the comments (or posts) on The Other McCain.

Sorry to po your bubble, but it's out there.

Still.

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

Who does the Philadelphia Main Line reject and how do they go about it?

William said...

I was raised as a Catholic and still identify to some extent as a Catholic. I can't ever remember anyone discriminating against me because of my Catholicism or my being Irish. That may be because I have so many other visible qualities that are worth discriminating against......Did you ever read about the Draft Riots? Maybe people had a reason to mistrust Irish Catholics. Just because you're poor and oppressed doesn't mean you're not a scumbag.......The northern members of the Know Nothing party were abolitionists. Most narratives are speckled. It's only in movies--especially Robert Rdford ones--where you can find totally inspiring narratives of good and evil.