Saturday, September 12, 2015

Brit thought a funeral was a wedding

"This is where it gets bad."
I looked over at the church and saw that there was a family walking out of it, they were smartly dressed so I'd assumed they'd just come from a wedding, as a large majority of the family weren't wearing black.
And me being me, I can't keep my gob shut and exclaimed "Congratulations!"
To which my friend turned to look at me in sheer shock/terror. Not knowing what she was so shocked about, I looked towards the family, who's jaws had practically hit the ground.
It was only THEN, I saw a couple holding a large framed picture of a little boy. I walked as fast I could, not bearing to look at the couple, who I could now hear sobbing hysterically.
...accidentally congratulated a couple on their sons funeral.

10 comments:

windbag said...

Had a woman come in one time and order about 15 sandwiches to go. I asked, "Having a party?" to which she replied, "My niece is dying and she asked for this sandwich, so I'm getting enough for everyboy." That's when I crawled under the floor tile.

Chip Ahoy said...

Best story ever.

Chip Ahoy said...

Both of them. \o/

Trooper York said...

I am reminded of the story of Abe Hirschfeld who was a famous figure in New York Politics in the 1970's and 1980's. He owned the New York Post at one time for a New York Minute.

Anyhoo he went to the wake for then Congressman Hugh Carey's first wife. When he got to the front of the line he stuck out his hand and said "So...how's the new bachelor?"

Trooper York said...

True story.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Abe Hirschfeld is one of those socially clueless persons who are incapable of shame, they were born without it. The guy who walked past the funeral and windbag made an honest mistake that at the time was horribly embarrassing and traumatic to all involved. But great stories in hindsight.

Trooper York said...

Abe was Donald Trump when Donald Trump was still an ache in his daddy's ball sack.

windbag said...

Then there's the time when my partner was cooking and yelled out to a customer, "Hey, haven't seen you in a while, where you been?" The customer said something, which my partner didn't hear, but pretended to anyway. So, he said, "Great!! Glad to hear it." The customer looked startled and said, "I said my mother died." Ouch.

rhhardin said...

Good dinner table ice-breaker: My mother died today. Or was it yesterday.

Blazing Saddles had the funeral happy birthday to you mistake. A candle significance confusion.

A film I can't watch today because it's too stupid. In a more PC age, they could have focused the jokes better.

AllenS said...

Years ago I was in a bar on Concord St in South St Paul, MN. From the front door you could look across Concord, then the railroad tracks and there was the huge stockyards. I can't remember what got the conversation going, but I said to whomever I was talking to: "the only thing good to watch on a black and white television is a black beauty contest." I then turned around and there were four black men standing there waiting to cash their pay checks from working at the stockyards and get something to drink. They could have cared less.