Friday, May 1, 2015

Mr Science Person

Does, your bow tie spin? Because it should. That would add to your show.


"I don't know. But it sure is getting hot and steamy up in here. I got a boner. Global Warming!

Some photos that stream across Twitter I find irresistible. I must take a moment and make his bow tie spin or his eyebrows move around like caterpillars, make the jaw go into a horse, something, anything, his impeccably ill-tailored suit, crap haircut, weary of lying eyes, something. Boing, there goes Photoshop. These laptops make things too easy to get out of doing the dishes. I cannot take the photo from Twitter, sometimes site owners say, "NO!" So I do screenshot, boom, image in Photoshop, just like that. 

Yesterday I read a list of some 30, or something, world's smartest people and I thought that would be interesting. It was an annoying click-through piece that has a person on each page with ads in between. Some add-on that I installed on Safari to keep out neer-do-wells kept jacking with that site and preventing progress, so doubly and triply annoying. I switched over to FireFox because I really did want to see all the smart people, then GlimmerBlocker kept notifying of cookies self-destructing one after another for each page on that site a whole new wave of cookie self-destructs, to have you know what kind of click-bait site it is. They listed chess players and foreign smart people mostly working in US universities. As the countdown goes from 30 to 1 the people become more and more obscure in their fields until #6 smartest man in the world Neil deGrasse Tyson. He is surround by people with IQ measured at 180-200 thereabouts but his own IQ is unknown, but that's okay everyone says he's really smart. I cannot find the list now, it was one of those prompted with advertisements, and now looking for it I see several such lists with his name on a few of them but placed farther from first. I get the very strong sense this guy's intelligence is being foisted the same way Obama's Spock-like detachment and political centrality and universal appeal are foisted. The way Nye is foisted as genuine science and not showmanship.  Tyson's I.Q. is known but they don't want us to know it and it's not flattering or else they'd be bragging about it. But they're not. We know them too well. That means it cannot serve their foisting. 

This photo here I think is going to be a meme if only short lived. I just now saw another with pandas playing in the background.

4 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

It was a ways back that I heard on the radio, or somewhere, that the smartest person, ever, was John Stuart Mill, with an estimated IQ of something on the order of eleventy million, gazillions.

The great majority of people will pay money to have the world reduced for them to handy-dandy bite-sized portions, to about the size of a pre-packaged snack cake.

Grandpa, tell me about the good old days.

I'm Full of Soup said...

My nephew, who is in med school, and is a true science guy [his undergrad major was bio-physics] was surprised when I pointed out that Bill Nye, The Science Guy, has very little formal science training except for a degree in [I think] mechanical engineering.

Methadras said...

Nye can go fuck himself. His soliloquies on science are overshadowed by his giant douche-persona. I can't get past what a giant dick he really is to hear anything else he says.

Synova said...

What the heck is the naked men the background about?

I liked the Bill Nye show when ... when was it? When it was a show anyway. It had some pretty neat stuff.

Running around now as his television persona being stupid about politics is just embarrassing.

I mean really... I also had a huge hormone induced crush on Steve from Blue's Clues. Doesn't mean that the man can put a striped shirt on now and expect to be listened to about raising children.