Tuesday, April 21, 2015

"One World Trade Center Elevator Ride Timelapse"


 
Published on Apr 20, 2015
Sky pods show rise of New York skyline from 1500s till now on time-lapse rocket ride to trade center's top.
An imposingly realistic vision of 2 World Trade Center, the ultimately doomed south tower, will begin appearing next month in a most unlikely place: the five special elevators servicing the observatory atop the new 1 World Trade Center.

From the moment the doors close until they reopen 47 seconds later on the 102nd floor, a seemingly three-dimensional time-lapse panorama will unfold on three walls of the elevator cabs, as if one were witnessing 515 years of history unfolding at the tip of Manhattan Island.

For less than four seconds (roughly proportional to the time the twin towers stood), a jarringly familiar pinstripe facade will loom into view on one wall of the cab. Then, in a quick dissolve, it will evanescence.

There would have been no way around Sept. 11, 2001, said David W. Checketts, the chairman and chief executive of Legends Hospitality, the company chosen by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in 2013 to operate the three-level observatory.

“The event is certainly a key part of history,” he said. “We did not think you could ignore it. Having it appear in the year it did and disappear in the year it did was the respectful way of addressing the fact that it was part of the landscape.” Two World Trade Center was the site of the original observatory.

Mr. Checketts acknowledged that the plan to confront sightseers with an image of the old tower spurred a lot of debate within his own company and with the Port Authority and the Durst Organization, developers of the new tower.

“There were strong opinions and emotional reactions all around,” he said.

Whether the public regards the depiction as a tribute, as sacrilege or as a simple matter of fact awaits the opening of One World Observatory on May 29.

But from a documentary point of view, the brief presence of 2 World Trade Center in the time-lapse sequence is consistent with its generally high degree of historical fidelity.

10 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

Noice.

Trooper York said...

Is that the same Dave Checketts that destroyed the Knicks?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I came across this video watching the local news here.

Aridog said...

Hey that's cool...a great idea for a capsule of history. That said, not sure I could handle it since it also provides a solid geometric perspective from whatever level to the ground...and that gives my intense pucker butt. It doesn't effect me when flying, somehow moving laterally as the plane climbs moderates it and once above 700 feet or so, my perspective on ground things is lost. Didn't bother me with my few parachute jumps either...until I got below 700 feet and could see shapes of buildings, car headlights, people, etc....however not as bad as when on a structure than I can see all the way to the ground from along the side of it. Only way I managed sitting atop skyscrapers here as a DNR Peregrine Return volunteer was to mutter to myself going up..."don't' be a punk, don't be a punk...etc." since I was with others who seemed not bothered by it all. Once on top the young birds fascinated me and I forgot about it.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I wanted the doors to open at the top. Very much most excellent tho.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

A song for the occasion. It's stuck in my head and you all must suffa because of it.

(the end of the video is downright sillY)

chickelit said...

I appreciated how the rides starts out with the elevator offshore. Centuries of trash landfills expanded Manhattan's footprint. There's an animated GIF here and a static boundary map here.

San Francisco and Boston did the same thing. In fact, the old city of Boston was almost an island.

Chip Ahoy said...

I've had my Safari preferences, privacy, cookies window open for five hours and FaceBook has failed to drop its two cookies. FIVE WHOLE HOURS !

I think Twitter users keep taking me there. I'm reading their tweets, clicking on their suggestions, and BAM, Facebook cookies and I don't want to give those people the satisfaction of tracking.

When I first signed onto Facebook my sister notified me she had just bought a couple acres of farmland. I thought that was just great. I visualized the place. I heard so much about her husband's family's farm through my nephews but I never saw the place. My nephews were involved in that farm. And now she's getting more.

Another notification and I realized it is a game. Farmland.

I get notified on every single move every single relative makes on every singe one of their Facebook games. I had absolutely no idea they spent so much time playing online games. Especially distressing as they're obviously marketing internal to Facebook, to keep members in the Facebook universe. And it works.

They have no interest whatsoever in anything I have to say on Facebook. In real life, yes, on Facebook, no. Nothing. I am not interesting to them in any way that is apparent on Facebook. They do not respond to me.

And following their own successful conversations where friends flock to chime in, for example say, a daughter-in-law will log in with:

Carol says: she doesn't like chocolate cookies.

Denise says: what? that's unpatriotic

Angela says: mmmm, chocolate chip cookies

Marla says: So, that explains it

Francis says: You'll like MY chocolate chip cookies.

Anne says: I didn't know that. The things I learn about you.

Marla says: You should have seen her barfing that daiquiri.

Carol says: Shut up Marla

Marla says: and after all that planning!

Carol says: SHUT UP

Angela says: I don't like peanut butter cookies

Denise says: I'M GOING OUT OF MY MIND

Aridog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aridog said...

April Apple ... No song by Blondie is ever unwelcome to my ears. Yeah, I know, I'm old :-)

Chip Ahoy ...you have too many Facebook "friends"...I limit mine to 2 or 3 max and no family. Then again it is almost solely for keeping in touch with friends now living in Africa. Anyone else it is by phone, text, or email...and I get no cookie poop that way.