Saturday, April 25, 2015

"Is Nick Searcy Hollywood's angriest conservative?"

Showing Up To Riot (via Small Dead Animals)

For the last five years his role as Raylan Givens's tough-but-tender father figure Art Mullen on the Kentucky TV crime saga Justified, which has now come to a dramatic end, has been one of the finest performances in a series absolutely full of them.

Somehow, he's managed to do all this while being one of the most brazenly outspoken conservatives in the liberal-dominated entertainment industry. With the honorable exceptions of James Woods and Jon Voight, most Hollywood Republicans tend to keep their opinions to themselves. But not Searcy.

Prompted by the 2012 death of conservative firebrand Andrew Breitbart, Searcy found himself searching his soul. “Bullies on the Left, they want to call you names and categorise you and make you respond,” Searcy once said. “They want to make you say, ‘Why are you saying that? I’m not that.’ So when [Breitbart] passed away so suddenly, I just sort of had this moment where I asked myself: Why am I scared? Why am I letting these people do this to me? Now, I’m not."
The Telegraph

15 comments:

Rabel said...

I just started watching Justified last night. Two episodes so far. Many recommendations from friends. I'd give it a 7 of 10 based on the small sample.

Trooper York said...

I kind of knew he was a conservative when he was listening to Rush Limbaugh on a stakeout. Your normal Hollywood Liberal would never had stood still for that.

Trooper York said...

You will really enjoy "Justified."

Season Two with Mags Bennett is by far the best of the series.

I envy you getting to see it for the first time.

chickelit said...

"Justified" is an outstanding series. I owe Darcy a hat tip for recommending it a few years back. Nick Searcy is a favorite actor--I haven't seen him in anything else--has anyone?

"Mad Men" is turning out pretty well this season too--so far. I like that Glen "creepy" Bishop came back--all grown up and ready for his close up with "Mrs Robinson." Should be fun.

Rabel said...

The accents are pretty well done.

"Lysol's the best cleanin' product you can buy."

Trooper York said...

"Damn Raylan, you in love with my balls."
Boyd Crowder

Trooper York said...

"I want Sigourney Weaver to choke me out with her thighs"
Marshal Tim

Trooper York said...

Boyd: How you know I wasn’t some Boy Scout looking for his tent?
Raylan: Your teeth glow in the dark.

Trooper York said...

"I ain’t saying we’re in the end zone doing the Ickey shuffle, but we are definitely in the red zone."
Raylan Givens

Trooper York said...

"You the type of fella that walks under a flock of birds and is surprised when he ends up with shit on his face?"
Raylan Givens

Trooper York said...

"Whole world's a tree Raylan. I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut."
Boyd Crowder

Trooper York said...

He's not Derek Jeter black. He's Wesley Snipes black.

Vasquez

Titus said...

Bruce Jenner said he was a republican last night-so you got him too!

Titus said...

I mean shim...not him.

Synova said...

I watched the first season. Missed the beginning of the second. Bought the second and third. Accidentally bought the second season twice. (Not going to admit how often I do that.) I'll have to buy the rest of the seasons now it's done.

Somehow I've never gotten around to start watching season two. I plan to, though.