Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving Morning

The sound of gunfire woke me at sunrise on this Thanksgiving morning.

I'm at the cabin in the north woods, where Thanksgiving coincides with deer hunting season.  The noise of gun fire in the woods at sunrise sounded like a neighboring county launched a land invasion of our county.  This is an annual event, and we are accustomed to it.

I decided against taking the usual morning hike down the lane, even though I have the full array of head-to-toe high viz outerwear.  Most of the hunters will be cleared out of the woods by noon, so I'll go out then, when it will be safer.

Coffee.  I've had a cup of coffee first thing in the morning most mornings since when I was sixteen and pterodactyls still dotted the skies.  Coffee shops like Starbucks weren't a thing back then.  A coffee shop was another name for a diner, usually a smaller diner, where a cup of coffee and a slice of home made pie could be enjoyed while you sat at the counter and read the newspaper.  Or coffee and a cruller, if you preferred.

My favorite coffee shop is a place you haven't heard of, but you probably visit quite often,  My favorite coffee shop is Homebucks.  You've probably been there, they have locations everywhere.


I can show up at Homebucks in my bathrobe and nobody complains. I get to choose the music and the television station, and I get as many refills as I want.  I always get the comfy chair near the window. There is never a table of amp'd up sales reps behind me planning their day. And the cookies and scones are always fresh.

Nobody lines up in front of me wasting time trying to figure out which nine ingredients he or she wants in his or her coffee.  I order the usual: coffee with half-and-half in the big cup I bought in New Orleans a few years ago, at Cafe du Monde.  The server (usually me) gets it right every time.


There is no drive-through, but there is a drive-in that allows overnight covered parking, and they gave me the door opener. The newspaper is never taken apart and scattered over several tables. The magazine selection is always magazines I find interesting. No twenty-two year old server or barrista ever patronizingly refers to me as "young man", a thing I have grown to detest. I am not asked whether I qualify for a senior discount. I don't have to leave a tip, ever, and sometimes I get lucky with the waitress.



Best of all, if the coffee doesn't wake me up, they let me take a nap.


I made coffee, poured a cup, lit a fire in the fireplace, put on some Emmylou Harris, and started to think about Thanksgiving.  There is so much to be thankful for that I don't know where to begin, so I'll begin at the beginning.  I'm thankful that Captain Christopher Jones led 102 Puritans and Pilgrims and crew to sail the Atlantic in search of a land where they could have religious freedom, away from the constraints placed on the English by the monarchy and the Church of England.  I'm thankful that half of the immigrants survived the first winter, and decided to remain here and not return to England.

I'm thankful that for the next 150 years the colonies grew and thrived, all the while debating the nature of government and the governed, and settling finally on the notions of democracy, a representative republic, freedom from government oppression, and on human rights that were given by God, and not by some ruler, with liberty and justice for all.

I'm thankful for everyone who came after, the ones who endured hardships beyond our knowing, the ancestors on whose shoulders we stand.  I'm thankful for the warriors, the fighters who kept this republic intact through war and strife.  I'm thankful for laws made on the Biblical ideas of right and wrong, even though that nearly destroyed the republic when the scourge of slavery had to be ended.

I'm thankful to live in a civilized and safe society, among good people like you.  I'm thankful for my family, I'm thankful that I've lived longer than I ever imagined I would and have seen more than I ever imagined I'd see.

But mostly I'm thankful for God's mercy, forgiveness, and grace.  For without that, there is nothing, and with that there is everything.

Happy, happy Thanksgiving to each of you.  You brighten my days and bring happiness. And I hope I have done the same for you in some small measure.

Regards,

Haz

ADDED:  This year I'm making a vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner.  So far, so good.



25 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Great post. I'm thankful I got to meet you and your better half this year.

Unknown said...

Lovely, Haz. Thanks.

chickelit said...

Happy Thanksgiving Haz and to all who read here!

Calypso Facto said...

Beautiful post, Haz. Fits right in to my own northwoods, coffee in front of the fire, overflowing thankfullness experience this morning.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Lem-mings!

KCFleming said...

This morning I give thanks for haz's writing.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I'm thankful Haz is here taking valuable time to be with us and to share the magnificent blessings of being alive in the most wonderful nation in the world. In spite of recent events.
Happy thanksgiving everybody. Remember to pace yourselves. You only have all day.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Lovely post Haz.

We just got up about a half hour ago. Slept in all the way to 6:45. We too are listening to the gun fire. Deer season is all over, but duck and goose season is still on and the wild rice fields below are flooded for the winter to create bird habitat and farther away on the lake the hunters are getting their last minute Thanksgiving dinner.

The Dumbplumber gets up a bit earlier and grinds the coffee so we can sit and sip at our warm cups, also with half and half. He peruses his internet on the laptop at the table and I through the french doors at my desk/hutch in the office. Itunes in the background is currently playing some soft jazz. Television doesn't come on in our house until evening when we have a show or movie to watch. Sharing the stories and jokes on the net, laughing at the world....sometimes not so funny. Sharing the latest bits of local news. Watching the cats play and sleep. Planning our day's events to come.

Warm and snug in our "elegant" morning attire of flannel pajama pants, slippers and sweatshirts (mine has a big cartoon Grumpy on it.... very apropos until I get my second cup of coffee).

I am thankful for the peaceful life that my husband and I enjoy. The beautiful area in which we live. Our family's health, happiness and successes. Our very good friends upon whom we can rely. Thankful for our warm snug comfortable home and the ability to still be able to get up and work to provide for ourselves.

Thankful for the internet through its magic we can connect with people who live so very far away and can share these thoughts and moments.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

ricpic said...

GOBBLE GOBBLE

edutcher said...

Sound of gunfire?

Could be Ferg, Baghdad, or the Windy City.

Be glad you're not there.

Happy T-day to all the Lemmings.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Ohhh....I forgot to be thankful for the small herd of deer that cruises right by my large office window. They are so near you could almost touch them. Sometimes they look inside the window so close that their breath fogs the glass.

Then I open window and yell. Stop eating my rose bushes you little bastards!!!....ooops......sorry....broke the Thanksgiving reverie fro a moment.

Michael Haz said...

Thanks very much, everyone.

Trooper York said...

Happy Thanksgiving Haz and Mrs Haz and all the rest of the Lemmings!

Blessings of The Day!

virgil xenophon said...

We used do do Duck for Thanksgiving and Goose for Christmas (there were only three of us) but this year we are in Lake Charles, La with my wife's 87 yr-old Mother and two of her three sons with, for a change of pace, a huge Gumbo ya-ya (the kitchen sink: Gumbo crabs, oysters, shrimp, smoked sausage, Tasso, chicken, okra,--the works. nom nom nom!! ) which comes natural for the Opelousas side of the family.

Nice read, Haz, and your turkey ain't too shabby either. :)

Happy Turkey Day to all the Lemmings!

Chip Ahoy said...

Speaking of...

Weland had a greater developed sense of self-preservation than the usual lemming yet found himself oddly compelled by mob impulse.

Unknown said...

Carpe din din

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I want candy.

Chip Ahoy said...

Khalid the lemming had different ideas.

Chip Ahoy said...

I'm reading about an impending chocolate shortage. Glad I invested early.

22 LBS.

Aridog said...

Dear Haz....;some judicious editing of your post :-)

I'm at home in the city, where Thanksgiving coincides with some celebratory gunfire. The noise of gun fire in the city at sunrise sounds like a some distant neighbors to the east settling a domestic dispute. Or settling a drug deal gone bad. Etc. This is a daily event, and we are accustomed to it.

Thank you. I'll be here all day.

rcocean said...

Happy thanksgiving to everyone.

Methadras said...

Happy thanksgiving guys.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

DBQ.

deborah said...

Belated Thanksgiving wishes to all. Thank you, Haz, love the excursions into the land of winter magic.

Synova said...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Hope it was all good and yummy, even the vegetarian options. :)

Aridog said...

My tongue in check comment at 2:00 PM Wednesday, appears to have been prophetic. See this news article and video from this after noon (Friday).The location is one minute south of our house. My better half coincidently was in that location when it happened.