Monday, November 10, 2014

Chill Out

Even though it’s still early November, a January-like cold wave just entering Montana and the Dakotas on Sunday will bring 30 below zero temperatures to scattered locations in Montana and Wyoming by Wednesday morning.

According to Roy Spencer, Ph.D. meteorologist who offers this chilling map.



On individual days the temperatures will be as much as 50 deg. F below normal for this time of year, which is quite exceptional.  In a bad way.

By the way, Amazon has hot deals on cold weather underwear although I'd shy away from the used items. (Notice how I got all Insty-ish there?)  When you do buy high-viscosity knickers, please buy them through Lem's Amazon portal in stead of you-know-where.

I want to believe Roy Spencer, Ph.D. because he was a Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, where he was co-reciepient NASA’s Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal.  His brain has biceps. Really big ones.  Plus, he doesn't believe in man-caused global warming.

And there's this:  Heap big snow will arrive across the northern tier along with the brutally low temperatures.  See the place on the map that predicts 17" of snow?   That's exactly where my little slice of heaven in the northwoods is located.  Dead center.  Direct hit.  Ice station Zebra.



But!  I'm not there!  I bailed Sunday afternoon because I have meetings and appointments and such in the Big City both Monday and Wednesday.  It's a good thing, too, because ol' Chet, my steadfast and reliable snow plow guy for the past twenty-two years sent a postcard last week with a three word message:  "I quit plowing".   I think I have a different contractor lined up.....all but the part where he hasn't returned my many phone calls.  A neighbor who uses him tells me that it's all good, and I should leave it to him and go on about my business not worrying about snow plowing.

Did I mention that all the other neighbors are concerned that this one particular neighbor may be entering senile dementia because he sometimes forgets his own name?  Pesky detail.

Well.  I am sure it will all turn out to be something we'll all laugh about next summer.  Ha ha. Ha ha.  Next summer, when I have finally shoveled my way to the front door.

By the way (I'm nearly finished here, so be patient) Roy Spencer, Ph.D. also predicted that this winter will be worse than the record cold and snow we experienced but don't recall during the winter of 1977-1978.  

That makes me feel better.  I think.

26 comments:

edutcher said...

Supposedly, the big indicator was the amount of snow in Siberia earlier this fall.

You don't want to know.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I've had a snow thrower for, maybe, 15 years that I hardly ever used because I had the time and I wanted the exercise. But last year was bad enough that I hauled the thing out only to discover I was leaving an oil slick behind me on the driveway. So back to the shovel it was.

And, yes, you've all already figured out that I never bothered to get it repaired, lazy piece of shit that I am.

But you know what? Maybe this will be the year I break down and actually pay someone to do the driveway. Around here a guy with a pickup, chains and a blade backs all the way into your driveway, lowers the blade and then . . . WHHOOOOMMMMMFFFFFFF.

Repeat and there's a mountain of show against the curb on the opposite side of the street. Takes 2 minutes, tops. Snow thrower? Twenty minutes, at the very least.

And I've got a back patio and plenty of sidewalk so there's exercise opportunity enough.

Thank you, Mr. Haz! That is a capital suggestion!

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Now all I have to do is work up enough nerve to actually talk to the neighbor who does the snowplowing.

That might take me a while, if the past is any sort indicator of the future.

Dad Bones said...

Sounds like Chet's had enough. I wonder if he feels good about 22 yrs of being someone people can depend on or if he feels bad about giving it up.

Winter is when Mother Nature reminds us that she really is in charge.

AllenS said...

That map has me in the 15" area. So far this morning, about 1" has fallen. Light snow now, with a gentle breeze from the ENE.

AllenS said...

On the radio they are announcing school closings.

Unknown said...

Scott Pelly(D), international genius superstar democrat operator of the news, insists this is all climate change. insists.

PS - Send all snow to DBQ.

Michael Haz said...

Dad Bones - Chet isn't happy about it. He's 82 and has had both hips replaced. If his plow gets stuck he can't dig it out, or walk out to get help. And he refuses to carry a cell phone because there isn't good coverage where he lives. It was time for him to give it up.

Michael Haz said...

Allen - No school today? I hope you will use your time wisely.

AllenS said...

I put my snow plow and chains on the tractor and parked it in the shop last Friday.

Bring it, Mr. Climate Change!

ndspinelli said...

I was living in KC the Winter of 77-78. More snow than usual. I remember my family in Ct. getting socked w/ snow that year.

virgil xenophon said...

Global Warming! Global Warming! Global Warming!

chickelit said...

It's unseasonably warm out here where all the warmists live and breathe.

Michael Haz said...

And unseasonably dry, innit?

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I put my snow plow and chains on the tractor and parked it in the shop last Friday.

Bring it, Mr. Climate Change!


Yup. That's what we usually do. Use the tractor to move the snow out of the driveway. Unfortunately. No snow. No moisture of anytime.

Can it possibly be just a co-inkydink that the last time California was experiencing a severe drought you guys in the Midwest were also experiencing record cold and snow. It isn't global warming or climate change.....it is just the natural cycles of the weather.

Some people (global warming cultists) are such drama queens.

chickelit said...

That too

AllenS said...

It isn't global warming or climate change.....it is just the natural cycles of the weather.

Bingo.

ricpic said...

Prediction is the cold will reach the northeast by Wednesday. Winter starting well before Thanksgiving. Will sagas of the north be the next offerings from our pop music scene?

AllenS said...

So, it quit snowing. What happened to that 15"?

Michael Haz said...

Meade:

The comment you made at 10:57 has been deleted (and saved) because it contains a homophobic element, and also because of the Civility Rule.

As explained previously your comments made on topics I start will be deleted until feel otherwise.

Haz

Meade said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

To deny AGW you have to pretend there is no distinction between average global climate and the way weather extremes fluctuate in any given region.

Or you just have to convince people that you don't know the difference. Which isn't hard if you actually, you know, don't.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Its been raining like crazy here in Florida.

chickelit said...

Since I subscribe to commets after I make one, Meade's comments are emailed to me.

@Meade: The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was not a "dirge," but I am reminded of your wife's lame attempt to disparage the song because of it's "sing-song" rhythm or some such. Did it ever occur to either of you that perhaps Lightfoot was attempting to mimic the rolling of waves?

Oh and the reason that no bodies were ever recovered is the depth of the wreck plus the fact that many are probably still entombed inside.

chickelit said...

One body was found near the wreck: link

virgil xenophon said...

Factoid: The Edmund Fitzgerald was named for the CEO of the Milwaukee-based Northwestern Mutual Life Ins Co. which owned the vessel.