Sunday, June 22, 2014

separated at birth

Seen on Twitter. The dog is flipped to lean the same direction.


The guy is a criminal that caught the attention of ladies who tweeted they'd be willing to be kidnapped by him. The photo of the criminal is trending.

The thing is, I thought it would be easy to come up with a dog that matches the man through Google images photo matching but there are no dogs in results. Google matches all people, although it does not care about sex or about age. And one man is holding up a tiny dog to his face.  It seems Google knows the photo is of a human, and matches by color, apparently. I did notice two ancient portraits of the sort painted on caskets during the Egyptian / Roman period at el Faiyum, the largest man-made lake of the ancient world. Hundreds of these portraits were found in the area so realistic they were assumed to be fakes. They are of two types, a tempura pigment with egg albumen, and encaustic, pigment in hot bees wax. The portraits of wealthy male youths are especially compelling because the families were wealthy and their sons died so young. In my opinion. This is one such portrait, although not matched to the criminal above, it is on the second to last page of a favorite coffee table museum book. It is the only such portrait I notice with eyelashes painted on top of the eyes and not on the bottom as the all the others are.  I tried my hand at copying the portrait and did not do nearly as well. What a bummer. It looks so simple. I'll show my version later when I get to its pop-up card. I used it for the cover of an Egyptian theme card, basically to work the haunting portrait out of my system.

14 comments:

edutcher said...

Apparently, said criminal is a pretty vicious one.

So much for rape culture.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Labels: similar portraits, canine beauty.

deborah said...

The death portrait of the boy is lovely. Were the highlights a Roman influence?

Chip Ahoy said...

deborah, yes. They are very Roman.

deborah said...

Oh, yeah, the laurels. I'm a dope today.

chickelit said...

Growing up, there was a large family in my town named von ___." I will spare the last name details, but suffice it to say that they were "vons" and were all blond and all strikingly good looking. I mean all of them. A real Aryran poster family. The older ones, girls, were so hot people stooped to making things up to bring them down. The one my brother's age, a boy, was pretty normal. The one two years ahead of me was the probably the best looking male, but was criminal material, at least then. The one my age was a superb natural athlete, but got into drugs early and never finished high school, AFAIK. There may have been another younger boy, but then there was a girl or two at the younger end. Seven or eight kids altogether. Remarkable family.

Chip S. said...

I sense a Trapp.

deborah said...

It's a Trapp!

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

Bitches be lovin' on sociopaths.

That's a funny Tumbler - but I always thought pit bulls, especially faded out and lightened up that much, were kinda ugly anyway.

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

To the species' detriment.

Then their daughters complain about how there are no good men left.

It's actually hilarious. Or at least, hilariously ridiculous, from an evolutionary standpoint. It almost makes you wonder how many generations it will take for the species to correct for these massive fuck-ups stemming from nothing worse than simply not arranging marriages any more and trying to let American women be independent enough to have a say in their own marriage/breeding choices.

Lydia said...

Check out his earlier mug shots.

Better lighting, better hair, and a head tilt can do wonders.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric the Fruit Bat said...

That evolutionary psychology guy I was listening to claimed that we are all the progeny of rapists.

He made a rather convincing case.

He didn't make any express claim, one way or the other, whether women prefer to become pregnant by rapists.

And he didn't have to.

Because he's not stupid.

Chip S. said...

Not all of us.

I, myself, am the progeny of a pick-up artist.