Sunday, May 11, 2014

NY Post: A Chinese American Mother's Day

"Mother’s Day is a good day in our house, partly because of the general bonhomie that links us with the many moms in our lives. There’s my wife, the mother of my children. There’s also her mother and my mother, both still with us and adored by their grandchildren."

"And in the special recesses of our hearts, there are three more. These are the women who brought our daughters into the world — three women in China whom we have never met and whose names we don’t even know but to whom we owe our family." (read more)

 

4 comments:

edutcher said...

Yes, a Happy Mom's Day to all the ...(um, what do we call ourselves?) Levitationers.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

That's some mighty cheap gratitude he's got going there.

ricpic said...

William McGurn is one of my favorite columnists. You have to read almost to the end to get this:

So come Sunday morning, my wife and I will lie in bed as we hear the clatter of pans downstairs, the occasional yell for someone to butter the toast or get the eggs off the stove, followed by footsteps as they carry the finished tray upstairs. I'll watch and witness amid feelings of peace and joy and contentment that overwhelm precisely because of how magnificently ordinary it all is.


Magnificently ordinary. Yes.

rcocean said...

My wife is a hard-nosed East Asian, she thinks "Mothers Day" is another silly American holiday.

So she gets nothing. And everyone's happy.