Friday, May 23, 2014

Esquire Interview: Jerry Seinfeld Doesn't Buy the 'Burden of Celebrity'

Scott Raab: Who do you have on the new season of Comedians in Cars?

Jerry Seinfeld: Jon Stewart, Robert Klein, Aziz Ansari, Sarah Jessica Parker, George Wallace. And I've done three of the five. Have two more to go. And it's gone very well. The whole thing is leading me around now. It was really just an experiment. But I love the potential that a technology like the Internet gives a guy like me. I thought, What if I just put something out and didn't say anything about it? People would probably start moving it around for me. It's very self-promoting. Unlike traditional network or movies, where you got to hustle your butt off to get people to notice something, I said, This thing, it'll do it itself. The one thing we are deprived of now is "Have you seen this?" or "Do you know?"

Scott Raab: Everyone knows everything.

Jerry Seinfeld: And they want to know. "Did you hear who died?" Of course I know who died. Everybody knows who died. This is what a good idea does. Here's how a good idea works. Same thing happened with the series. You make it. Then it's like you're in a rodeo and you can't get your hand out from under the rope, and now this thing is still going and it's dragging you around in the dirt.

15 comments:

chickelit said...

Then it's like you're in a rodeo and you can't get your hand out from under the rope, and now this thing is still going and it's dragging you around in the dirt.

"Unbridled thoughts force their way without the will"

Amartel said...

Sarah Jessica Parker is a comedian?

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I think when dogs have sex you have to keep them together for a while because the male dog can get stuck in there.

Who takes care of that when a human isn't around is a complete mystery to me.

Sydney said...

The burden of celebrity? You got the wrong guy. Anybody that so-called bothers you you're making them happy. What the hell else am I here to do?

That is one good guy.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Sarah Jessica Parker is a comedian?

Ask Trooper. He is a Sarah Jessica Parker expert.

Unknown said...

The first time you get stopped by a cop for speeding—and in your side-view mirror you see this guy coming up to the car and he's got this look on his face like I'm going to take this guy to town—and as soon as he sees your face he bursts into a big smile, you don't complain about celebrity anymore.

I'm no celebrity, but I can relate to this. Make the police man smile. (or police woman) Though in my case, I made a policeman smile and laugh all without willful intent-- Just the goofy look on my face. I wonder if I can pull it off again? Better be ready with a smile and a joke next time. I am a bit of a lead foot.

Unknown said...

Speaking of celebrities: I am officially under contract with the son of one of the Van Halen brothers.

Weird. WEEEE-IIIIRD.

He's a big time runner.

Gotta figure out a way to slip him a business card.

Amartel said...

"Ask Trooper. He is a Sarah Jessica Parker expert."

Countdown (at Churchill Downs) to pony joke ...

Unknown said...

Jessica Parker Sarah - is she supposed to be funny? When did this happen?

Amartel said...

I think she's cute but to some people she has a horsey look to her.

ricpic said...

Last I heard Sarah Jessica Parker had the post position at the Belmont Stakes.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

That is one good guy.

I wander how that "goodness" would do if 'tested'.

I've thought of asking Desiree Peres for help with something. She would be the wrong/right person for it. The more I think about it, the more/less sense it makes.

Which probably means I will wait for some other opportunity.

Amartel said...

"Jessica Parker Sarah - is she supposed to be funny? When did this happen?"

This is probably in response to the whining about the lack of diversity in the car. So her episode will be called "whimsical fashion fiend in the car." Aziz's episode will be "mildly amusing muslim guy in the car."

William said...

It's ok for people like Jerry Seinfeld to enjoy their celebrity because his fame is based on a likable, non threatening persona......Sylvester Stallone used to complain about complete strangers picking fights with him, and that was when he was in shape and didn't need the walker to get around. That kid who played the Joffre/Caligula role on Game of Thrones was really despicable. I bet he hears a lot of trash talk. Maybe when he doesn't wear the crown or royal garb, he can pass unnoticed, but, still, it must be a burden to be famous for being despicable.

William said...
This comment has been removed by the author.