Saturday, April 12, 2014

The chart Obama administration does not want you to see

According to heritage.org, a so-called conservative think-tank. What an odd descriptor that is.


Try avoid noticing Colorado in blue as an island of calm in the center of a troubled nation, then compare it with the four other blues if you like and see that we beat them. N. E. S. T. L. E. S. we're the healthcare very best R-o-o-o-o-c  K-e-e-e-e-y-s

And right next to us Arizona and Kansas up 157% and 129%. 

We're thinnest too. Nanner nanner nanner.


I recall saying my own premiums went down for the first time ever, by a whopping 7% not a puny .5% or 1/%. That is truly significant mystifying and out of whack with everything I read, welcome, but feeling a bit politically manipulated. I did not and do not understand it. 

Or else it showed actuarially we had been overpaying grossly all along and that I can believe. That could make sense, we are such an ace state for dangerous physical activities that attract people in this 27 year old group being measured, such activities as hang gliding for instance, insurers flat do not understand hang glider pilots. I overheard them complaining about that while waiting for conditions. Or perhaps insurers do understand all too well. Perhaps they do understand very well the hazards of skiing and white water rafting, rock climbing, mountain climbing, hiking at altitude. Easy to name instances of people one knows dying doing at least some of these things. I know I've been paying a lot all along. And now those common sense carefully calculated actuary figures are spread out amongst you. 

10 comments:

edutcher said...

Well, of course.

You actually expected Choom to be the bearer of good tidings?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Did Chip just borrow a headline from Trooper.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

insurers flat do not understand hang glider pilots

I understand Bags just fine ;)

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I had a cousin die from a paraglide fall.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Yea, there is a good chance Obamacare is with us for keeps.

Flawed as is.

One enough people perceive it as a "benefit" it will never be taken away.

Something being more expensive ceased to be a good enough reason not to buy something a while back.

chickelit said...

So the message is that young people are supposed to head for CO, NY, and OH.

I lived in two of those states in my 20s (CO and OH) -- so been there, done that. :)

Aridog said...

My objection to all the various and sundry "calculator" bits out there, government and private sourced, like Kaiser, that I have been able to find, is that they do NOT show commensurate cost of deductibles and co-pays. In short, you are NOT advised of a true (potential) net cost overall.

Next they do NOT stipulate clearly that, outside enhanced Medicaid, your "subsidy" is a refundable credit (like earned in come credits) that you may have to wait up to a year to receive....but you pay the full premium up front...not the amount purported at net monthly cost.

PT Barnum would be so proud of this roll out.

Snake oil...especailly the fine print in the H&HS Regualtions where they can change the terms on a whim. Never mind no "calculator" site provides a clear breakdown down of the added taxes and fees (same thing per CJ-SCOTUS Roberts)..another intentional deception. Yeah, you can buy a book, like I have, but it isn't as easy in today's media world of the Internet, and it costs more.

**Note: I said "that I have been able to find"...which means if you have found a "calculator" page that provides the details I note lacking, please send it to me or link it here.

Aridog said...

Chip Ahoy ...question for ya':

Let's compare Colorado automobile insurance, hinterlands like say Buena Vista, as well as urban like Denver, to what we pay in Michigan under a no fault system.

Our annual, full coverage, costs, for two drivers with zero violations on record for 20+ years, are as follows:

2014 Cadillac SRX ...$2560 (Judi)

2003 Chevy Venture LT...$2140. (me..in near new condition except for rocker panels that I patch repair every 2 years)...with routine IROAN maintenance every 90 days.)

The Venture Mini-Van is rigged up for dog handling, 3 at a time if necessary and has 48K miles on it (I need to travel I fly ... I need to shop it is 90% in local shops in my neighborhood). Judi will put about 25K+ miles on her SRX, which impacts the cost.

How does that compare to Denver or Buena Vista...or anywhere else anyone wants to cite. I'd be fascinated to know. It may keep me from murdering my Insurance agent....yeah, the one who can never quite explain the increases.

Footnote: IROAN is the Army term for "Inspect and Repair only as necessary"...and I consider low mileage city driving to require oil change, fluid & filter checks and changes, etc. part of that...at cycles not more than 90days (Oil) nor more than 2 years for major fluid changes.

Aridog said...

Oh, yay! I found something, by accident of browsing, on the PPACA taxes Here.

Hat/Tip: The Daily Caller

No idea about the veracity, but at least it is an attempt to explain in terms ordinary people can grasp. Show me the government site that even attemtps that?

Until now, my source for info has been the Obamacare Survival Guide ... bought for me by my dear better half to shut me up.

Aridog said...

Hey. Come on guys....nobody has insurance rates to compare for me?

I really would like to know what others elsewhere pay.

In Colorado especially, ( a place I truly loved until it went all Hippie) what is the difference between Buena Vista and Denver? Here, Detroit Metro area, it is up to 50% less in the hinterlands than the city...a red line carefully drawn on US 24.

My affection has moved north to Montana, but the Colorado highlands are still a special place in my mind. Especially "Tin Cup" or "St Elmo" ... I once bought a 25+ (maybe 50+ ?) year old candy bar (Hershey) from the crazy lady (Annie) who once lived in St Elmo. Gave me the runs...which added to my misery (Giardia) and habit of carrying 3 pairs of underpants + roll of TP in my saddle bags) She was still cool, spooky as they come but fun in her relationship with kids (I was 13 at the time)...in her version of an old general store.

Please Lord, if you can manage it, let me be a new teenager in the Collegiate Range with a horse and curiosity once again. There were no better times, ever. Anywhere.