Monday, April 7, 2014

News From Down The Lane


The happy news from down the lane is that winter has at long last begun to loosen its grip on our small part of the world.

We had quite a snow storm last Friday.  It left us eight inches of heavy, wet snow on top of the winter's record accumulation.  As usually happens, we drove through most of it, white-out conditions and slippery roads reducing our usual 70 mph pace to a frustratingly slow 35 mph, and less when the bald-tire support group placed one of its members directly in front of our car.

But then Saturday dawned sunny, clear and warm (if 45 degrees can be called warm).  The day stayed clear and the snow began to melt.  It was a day meant for being outside and happy.  Azure skies, clear, sweet air, and enveloping sunshine.

We went for a drive, sunroof open, radio playing bluegrass music.  With no particular direction in mind, we just drove.  Soon enough we spotted hand made signs directing us to Maple Syrup Fest up in Phelps.  We followed the signs.



Maple Syrup Fest was held at the local school.  The only school in town, in fact, because when your population is 1,350 one building is all that's needed for grades K through 12.

The cafeteria was filled with vendor tables.  It was all local people selling maple syrup making equipment, cookies, toffee, blankets and quilts, pottery, log furniture, spice mixes, hand made sweaters from wool grown on the knitter's farm, coffee, and so forth.  A local maple syrup producer was demonstrating how syrup is made and graded.  Kids were making maple candy.  Lunch was available. The Fest was small and lovely.  Everyone seemed to know everyone else.

The school was open so we took a walk through.  The main hall has framed photos of every graduating class, from 1939 through 2013.  The class of 1939 had eight graduates; the class of 2013 had eleven. The graduating classes in between all had between six and twelve graduates.  Phalps has always been a small town.

The early graduating classes had photographs of serious looking young men and women.  The men all wore nicely tailored suits, vests, white shirts and neckties.  The women all wore lovely proper dresses, modest and fitted.  The men all had pretty much the same haircut, likely because there was one barber in town.  The women all had shoulder length, highly curled hair.  Then in the middle 1950s, the photographs began to change, probably about the same time that television became available in Phelps. Some of the men had slicked down hair, with a strand hung down the forehead, suits with no ties, and colorful shirts.  Some of the women had more contemporary hair styles, and wore sweaters and felt skirts.  Saddle shoes appeared on a few feet.


Styles in the photographs changed again in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and every decade up to the present, when some young men wore camo tee shirts and beards in their photographs, and the young women wore contemporary fashions, skin exposed, a few tattoos showing.  Television back then, and the internet now, have spread a common culture into the deepest regions of the north woods.

The school in Phelps is quite remarkable.  It's small enrollment makes it like what you would imgaine a private school to be like - small class size, every student has a laptop computer, there is much group work, younger kids are helped by older kids, teachers teach multiple subjects.  Nearly everyone lives withing walking distance of school.  The gyms are open Saturdays for kids and families to play, as is the workout room and sometimes the library.
Nestled in the Nicolet National Forest, the Phelps School District offers a wide variety of learning opportunities to its students. Phelps is a true 1:1 school, providing a laptop computer to every teacher and 6th - 12th grade student and an iPad to every 4K– 5th grade student.
Committed to building a 21st Century Learning environment, technology is integrated throughout the curriculum and the building including SmartBoards in every classroom and wireless Internet access. For four years, Phelps School has been awarded the US News and World Report Bronze Award for top high schools in the nation and has been designated a New Wisconsin School of Recognition seven times between 2003 and 2011 by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.

Phelps is a vibrant community deeply committed to its school. In return, the School is open to the community for varied uses, which include the fitness center, computer lab, wood and metal shops and gyms. The School Commons is the frequent site for many community meetings and events, and the in-house day care center, open from 6:45 AM to 5:15 PM, provides top-notch care for young children in the community.
Phelps sends an unusually high percentage of its graduates to military academies, colleges, universities and technical colleges.  Every graduate, in fact, goes on to some form of higher education.  Our local newspaper publishes wedding photos of young people, a surprising number of whom have graduated from medical school, graduate schools, engineering programs, and so on.  Good job, Phelps.

The time spent at Maple Syrup Fest started me thinking about how people live, and why they choose to live in small towns.  In this instance, Phelps is in a beautiful area, surrounded bu lakes and woods, away from the problems of urban and suburban life.  Kids play in the woods from the time they can walk unaided.  Hunting and fishing are family activities, as are church, swimming, skiing, snowmobiling, ATV riding, and so on.  Everyone knows everyone else's children.  It's a paradise to be comtemplated.

Back home, I went out for a walk.  Bumped into George, the neighbor who is a fishing guide.  George told me that ice fishing was still strong and that bluegill activity has been decent, expecially in weedy areas on larger lakes.  Waxworms are the best bait.  Perch action is improving as the fish are nearing their annual spawning period.  The perch are moving into warmer waters for spawning; wigglers and waxies are the best bait.  Crappies are still hanging around in the deeper water, sometimes near the bottom, sometimes right under the ice.  Minnows on tip-ups are the best bait.  George is an encyclopedia of fishing, but he usually forgets his wife's birthday and their anniversary.

It was quiet, walking down the lane and back.  No cars, trucks, or other mechanical noises. Snowmobiling season has ended.  The only sounds were my own breathing, the schlop schlop schlop sound of my boots walking through slush, the cawing of crows, and the staccato knocking of pileated woodpeckers.   It was a good two hours of quiet thinking, spent in clear, cool air, in loving, restorative sunshine.

I walked along thinking about what I didn't need with me - cell phones, internet, television, anger, conflict, arguements with anonymous people in other parts of the country and world.  We get so tied up with these things that being without them on a walk in the woods seems like a special occasion.  Lesson learned.

I'll head back home later this week, back to the city where a list of tasks and activities and obligations and meetings waits for me.  Until then, I'll revel in the peace and tranquility of this small part of the woods.

33 comments:

deborah said...

The maple festival sounds perfect.

ricpic said...

Through the 6th grade I walked to school and walked home for lunch and then back to school and back home after school, so that made four mini-trips a day. It was a four block walk and each block was momentous and is of course engraved on my memory or in my memory to this day. Not that I thought of the walk to school and back from school as momentous when I was taking it. Like all kids I was deeply conservative, which is why the end of that very human scale ritual, when I was transferred to a distant Junior High School in 7th grade, was so traumatic. It was the end of my village life and the loss of village warmth.

Michael Haz said...

Lem's is its own little village, isn't it?

Without fests and bbqs and a bowling league, and so forth. And low taxes.

bagoh20 said...

It sounds and looks just amazing. The internet is really a wonderful invention in how it can bring the world to you and you to us. That is one of the most profound powers of what is likely one of the top five inventions of all time along with fire, the wheel, language, and alcohol.

bagoh20 said...

" fire, the wheel, language, and alcohol."

I guess I just described the pinnacle of human development as a party road trip. Yea, that seems about right to me.

bagoh20 said...

I'm such a rube.

I yam wudda yam.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Nice post Hazman.

Funny you mention the word invention... I was thinking how funny that word is.

It runs some kind of gamut. it goes from describing something concrete like a business inventory to an invention of the mind a fantasy. At least it does in Spanish. The word invento could mean a lie.

So, to say the internet is one of the top inventions of all time... I have to pause a bit.

bagoh20 said...

I'm coming back to Chicago tomorrow just to testify in a product liability case. Two days of travel just to answer a few questions. At least I'm not paying for it. Nobody blows money like lawyers. Thank God our government is run by them.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Thinking is another funny word to me.

I could take it to mean I'm the king of my thoughts. With so many kings walking around is a miracle anything gets done. invented.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Hey Bags. Maybe you can do a Meetup with our own Darcy/Tary.

She extended the invitation.

Michael Haz said...

I dunno, Lem, thinking could also mean the king of thin. The thin king.

Are you qualified in that department, without any inventos?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I'm the Lame king :)

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Hey, I am trying to invent an invitation/Meetup.

bagoh20 said...

I won't have time this trip to get far from my hotel (Mile North), but a meetup with Lem's commenters would be awesome sometime. Yes, I said "awesome". That how I talk. Totally! Órale!

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I like awesome. it's just that if I say it people may look at me funny.

Hey where you get the tilde in matilde.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Órale!

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I think the word awesome stuck with me when I first heard it, I believe it was a PBS documentary I'm not sure.

But I found a clip of it. LBJ

deborah said...

It's intersting that we have Ari, Darcy, and martini Ron (I think) in the Detroit area, bago, chick, Paddy, DBQ in CA, April and Chip in Colorado, Lem, Trooper, Palladian in the NYC area, Ken and Sixty down South Carolina way, deborah, Ed, Pasta, rh in Ohio...the possibilities are endless.

bagoh20 said...

That is quite a distribution for TOP diaspora.

Has Palladian been around here or TY's? I haven't seen him for a long time.

Michael Haz said...

Spinelli, AllenS and I are in Wisconsin.

Michael Haz said...

Pogo is in Minnie So Ta.

ndspinelli said...

Haz is our conservative Garrison Keilor.

deborah said...

Yep, Nick, and I know there's a lot I missed. Just thinking off the top of my head.

Yes, our own Garrison Keillor :)


MamaM said...

It's intersting that we have Ari, Darcy, and martini Ron (I think) in the Detroit area, bago, chick, Paddy, DBQ in CA, April and Chip in Colorado, Lem, Trooper, Palladian in the NYC area, Ken and Sixty down South Carolina way, deborah, Ed, Pasta, rh in Ohio...the possibilities are endless.

What's next? Lists revealing marital status and underwear preferences? Yes, the possibilities are endless. Boundaries, please.

MamaM said...

Great story of a fun sounding weekend, triggering memories of other times and places. Even though there's no utopias this side of the River J it's fun to get away and catch a glimpse of something that appears good for a time.

Chip Ahoy said...

My favorite part is the school because it speaks well of local control and addresses directly the evil of Common Core because it allows you to see at a glance Common Core is designed to destroy this exact thing and bring something splendid down to something more common, oddly, something grandly democratic schematically in actual practice something far less democratic.

Icepick said...

Yeah, winter is over here, too. I was finally able to put away the last of the long pants. Nothing but shorts from now until November.

Titus said...

I love small northern towns in Wisconsin. Cable, Hurly, Phillips, Hayward, etc. I never heard of Phelps before.

I love bowling alley food too.

I grew up on the bowling frozen bowling alley pizza (tombstone natch).

Titus said...

I didn't grow up ON a bowling alley pizza maker but eating bowling alley pizza.

deborah said...

I'm having a senior moment, who besides Icepick is in Florida??

Did Roger (from Trooper's) ever go fishing with Garage in the panhandle, or was it all a dream?

MamaM said...

I'm having a senior moment, who besides Icepick is in Florida? Did Roger (from Trooper's) ever go fishing with Garage in the panhandle, or was it all a dream?

Doesn't sound like a senior moment to me, deborah. It sounds like someone fishing for information about people from other blogs who are not present or actively commenting here at Lem's. To my ears it comes across as cliquey and inappropriate. If that's the tone and direction this blog wants to go, so be it. I'm not personally comfortable with it.

bagoh20 said...

Chill Mama. It ain't like that. What's so touchy about what state you live in? It's just natural to want to know geography. Deb is good people.

MamaM said...

It ain't like what, bagoh20? I don't like seeing collected information about others, facts that have been shared on a comment by comment basis over time, being posted by a blog contributor. Knowing geography is a different matter. Deb might be good people. I said what I wasn't comfortable with, and I stand by it.