Friday, February 14, 2014

Paolo Nutini, New Shoes

Scottish guy. From his de butt album, These Streets. MP3s on Amazon here



Today in incredibly fortunate winter weather I walked down to the main city Post Office, so it is real official-like with letters spelling out the place over the doors carved into whatever that material is, to send off a card to a farmer in a near isolated portion of southwest Nebraska. The PO two blocks one way and four blocks another, and I could feel every single footstep hitting perfectly on the heel and rolling properly and pushing off with ease and the whole thing felt excellent. I owe it all to good shoes.


I did not realize there is parking on the roof. 

It faces this police building across the street, 14th.




There is not even a word for that in my vocabulary. Foreboding. Uninviting. Retentive. Insecureish. It strikes me as almost the least of everything at once; post modernistic, neoclassic, Brauhaus, decorative, armorial, brutalistic. If I were to sign it I would use the word "building" + "punch" and not the drink kind of punch. 

13 comments:

Michael Haz said...

It strikes me as almost the least of everything at once; post modernistic, neoclassic, Brauhaus, decorative, armorial, brutalistic.

"Government Classico"

Michael Haz said...

What shoes?

john said...

Fierce wind shear.

Unknown said...

Speer-ie

Calypso Facto said...

I saw Paolo in Madison during that first album's tour. He's been kind of AWOL since though ...

That post office is a God-awful uncoordinated mash up of bad styles. Maybe Pelosi's husband can sell it off with the rest he's commissioned to get rid of?

deborah said...

I like it.

bagoh20 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bagoh20 said...

We really need to make better use of rooftops for parking, green space, rest areas, gardens, drinking and sex. I love to be up high, and so I have a ladder against my house most of the time, and I go up on the roof regularly where I have a panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean, Catalina Island, the Santa Monica Mountains, the Hollywood Hills, the Hollywood Sign, and the entire L.A. International Airport. It's awesome here 10 feet up, but at ground level, almost none of it is visible. I've had a few parties up there. No, no sex yet, but hey, it's Valentines Day weekend, and I'm still breathing!

It's Fridayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

ricpic said...

Everybody pray hard for sex on the roof of casa bagoh this weekend! I mean, finally, a worthy cause.

bagoh20 said...

And if you happen to be taking off from the north runway of LAX, take a look down to the right. You should see the Earth moving if things are going well. The San Andreas Fault will get the credit, but you'll know better.

Amartel said...

Looks like a roach motel for people. The last photo, not Bag's hot sexpot rooftop. Yay, Recovery February. BTW, is this rooftop the first thing people see when they fly into LA or the last? "Welcome to LA (the stories are true)" or "so long, suckers (my butt bids you adieu)"?

ken in tx said...

You said Brutalistic, which seems to fit. However, the Brutalistic examples I have seen are not as symmetrical.

Chip Ahoy said...

Ken, I did not know that.