Friday, February 28, 2014

News From Down The Lane

I took a walk down the lane this afternoon, all the way past the road to the boat landing, and out to the County Highway, then back again.  Lord, it's still cold here in the northernmost part of Wisconsin.  The temperatures are below zero and the harsh winds today gave birth to wind chills near thirty below zero.  I walked fast, my face covered so the cold air couldn't harm my nose and lungs.


There is more snow here than any winter in the twenty years we've owned this place.  There is so much snow that we don't know what to do with it.  The piles around the perimeter of our drive now reach above six feet.  The snow along the lane became so deep that the town plow couldn't move it.  The boys at the town garage started up the road grader and ran it up and down the lane to push the snow farther off the shoulder.  The lane is passable but drifts over each time the wind picks up.

We had to shovel our way DOWN to the back stoop and back door to get into the cabin when we arrived Thursday afternoon.  The piles of snow on either side of the back stoop now tower above my head.



I bundled up and shuffled down the lane in my heaviest Sorels. Thank you Canada for Sorel boots.  There weren't many neighbors outdoors.  It's too cold for the older gents, and that's pretty much what's left in the neighborhood.  I did run into Kurt, dashing out of his truck and into the woods with a backpack full of camera gear.  His book of wildlife photographs is selling pretty well and now can be ordered from Amazon.  I bought a copy from him at an art fair in town last summer, and must say the photography is remarkable.  Kurt's also the publisher of the local newspaper, and every Thursday we get so see a few of his photos in the paper.  He didn't want to stop and chat.  There are some albino deer in the state forest that he's trying to shoot, and he didn't want to miss them.

There is some good news, despite the forecast of subzero weather for another week.  The propane shortage seems to be easing up a bit.  We were worried that we wouldn't be able to get enough to make it through winter, but we will.  Our thousand gallon tank is down to two hundred gallons, and another two hundred gallons will be delivered next week.  That should hold us until the end of April.

The scarcity and very high price of propane has been a big problem this winter.  This is not a wealthy area.  Most people here live hand-to-mouth.  Quadrupling of propane prices was a disaster for them.  I noticed that about half of the ten cords of split wood in our woodshed is gone.  We didn't burn that much wood this winter.  People have been taking wood, mostly because they can't afford propane and need wood to heat their homes.  If someone truly needed it, well, I'm glad to give it to them.  They'll show up in June or July with a pickup truck load of wood and replenish what they took.  People here are like that, mostly.

This weekend is Klondike Days, and boy, is it fun.  It's the annual gathering of the backwoods people who still practice the skills necessary to live off the land.  Many of them will camp out for the weekend in big teepees with wood stoves and piles of furs to sleep in.  They will be wearing clothes they've made of skins and furs.  There will be axe throwing contests, dog pulls, sleigh rides, cooking, skinning, and all kinds of other demonstrations.  Last year I bought a big, warm fox fur hat, and Mrs Haz did likewise.  Both were made by a trapper who brought his goods to Klondike Days.

There will be demonstrations of how the Jesuit explorers mapped out the upper midwest, how skins were traded, and how wool blankets were made.  The long gun guys will have shooting contests, the blacksmiths will have knife throwing contests.  And it will conclude with a huge Indian pow-wow.  It'll be cold out, but this will be worth spending a day outside.  If nothing else, I'll be struck with wonder at how the early settlers managed to live and thrive in this climate.  I think that's the intent.


I love the winter here, I truly do.  But with a few more aches in the knees each year I wonder how long I'll remain in love with it.  Mrs. Haz said a few days ago that maybe in May we should saddle up and motorcycle down to Florida to have a look around.  That's a good idea, and we'll hit the highway this Spring.

28 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Remember when there was no snow for the Birkbeiner just a few years ago?

deborah said...

"...motorcycle down to Florida to have a look around."

A new chapter.

Valentine Smith said...

"It's too cold for the older gents, and that's pretty much what's left in the neighborhood."

Sad.

Is America dying?

chickelit said...

I own a geriatric friendly home (one story 3/2/2), five miles from beach by bike (trail no streets). No HOA, some riff-raff.

Set

Trooper York said...

Is America dying?

The America I knew when I was growing up is dying. If it is not already dead.

Shouting Thomas said...

Damned cold in Woodstock overnight, too.

Pellet stove stopped feeding, so my son-in-law, who's much more adept at mechanical things, came out and cleaned out the stove and got it going.

I've been invited to a high school class mini-reunion in Florida in April. Thinking about riding the Harley down to the event.

Christy said...

You evoke happy memories of ski vacations. Ski vacations where many a someone else made sure I was warm, fed, and transported. Perspective is everything, isn't it?

Chickenlittle, my new life rule, too late for me: don't ever promise a dying dad you'll make sure Mama stays in her not-at-all geriatric friendly house. The corollary: hie thee to a geriatric friendly house before the knees start to go. Now if I could just figure out when that might be....

Titus said...

winter is here.

I'm Full of Soup said...

America isn't dying Troop. Get to know some of the many hard working, ever striving young people - the American spirit is still alive.

ricpic said...

Beautiful Clipper

Is America dying? Or about to be reborn?
"O Captain, tell us, we fearful tempest tossed."
"Take heart lads, as long as she sails all is not lost."

The Dude said...

Winter has not yet relented. There have been occasional retreats punctuated by sleety flanking actions.

Today, wintry mix. Tomorrow, 60 degrees. It will go away, eventually, like the last filthy carpetbagger, dragging its unwanted cold shoulder ever northward.

And to all of you who believe in AGW, may you freeze to death, unloved, unnoticed, undiscovered save by vultures and carrion crows.

chickelit said...

Speaking of things voyageristic and Jesuit, has anyone tried THIS saisonal ale?

I'm tempted, but I balk at the price. Love the label though. It reminded me somehow of an old man I once met: link

AllenS said...

We have a lot of snow here, also. If we were to get another foot, I honestly don't know where I'd push it.

Weather report.

Michael Haz said...

Nick - I remember that winter. There wasn't enough snow to keep the snowmobile trails open, either. This year there was a huge storm two days before the Birkie and the people who run the event had to scramble to re-groom the course.

My neighborhood used to be half year-around and half seasonal residents. Some of the year-'rounders have moved away mostly to be closer to children and grandchildren. Of those still here, nearly all are widowed gents. The mix will change as homes are sold and new owners move in.

chickelit said...

The mix will change as homes are sold and new owners move in.

It's always been Chicago people moving up North.

deborah said...

"It will go away, eventually, like the last filthy carpetbagger, dragging its unwanted cold shoulder ever northward."

And good morning to to you, Johnny Reb!

The Dude said...

Hope you smiled when you wrote that, Y*nkee. ;^)

deborah said...

:)

Calypso Facto said...

We have a lot of snow here, also. If we were to get another foot, I honestly don't know where I'd push it.

I didn't appreciate the advantage of the tractor-mounted snow blower until I started plowing a 1/4 mile driveway after deep snows. Throws the stuff 20 feet into the trees and I've never come close to running out of room.

This has been a brutal winter. When I made an off-hand remark about early retirement to North Carolina I was surprised at the vigor with which my girlfriend immediately set to searching ...

Michael Haz said...

In between checking Zillow for condos in Florida, Mrs. Haz is futzing with the weather apps on her phone.

It is once again warmer in Anchorage that it is here, I'm being told.

deborah said...

NASA image shows Great Lakes 80% iced over.

deborah said...

It occurs to me that the Greenies would have made more progress with their goals by playing up an impending ice age, so people would voluntarily move to southern climes.

The Dude said...

All of you stay where you are. Shelter in place. The South is a horrid place full of fat people. We put peanuts in our cocola. Eat Moon Pies. Play banjos.

Repeat, shelter in place!

Unknown said...

wow Deborah - that's really cool. Lake Superior is almost all ice, while lake Michigan has big hole in the middle.

Michael Haz said...

We're in the southern end of the Lake Superior snow belt. And weather by generally. The lake being frozen over this winter will mean a cool Spring and a stormy summer as warm air coming from the south collides with cooler air above Superior.

The effect of Lake Superior on our weather here is strong enough to tender most forecasts useless.

Michael Haz said...

Apologies for spelling and usage. iPhone, etcetera.

Paddy O said...

I have fond memories of Wisconsin snow. My senior year of college I took a Winter Wilderness Skills class over a Spring break, so mid-March. Started at a camp in NW Wisconsin, hiked out for about 5 days, hiked back. Learned winter survival and camping skills. Did everything in the snow. Had a sleeping bag, but no tent.

Good times. Of course, a couple months later I moved back to California and haven't moved away since. We can visit snow here. Most years. This year, it has only snowed once in the local mountains. Last December, and even then melted off in a few days.

I do actually miss the snow now. The pictures make me nostalgic. Like I was visiting a place dear to me in my adolescence or something like that...

Paddy O said...

"Is America dying?"

America has always been dying. Different parts, different ways. Like a sickly child, always catching this or that. Never quite dies. Still might make something of itself.