Thursday, February 27, 2014

CBS Denver: "Vets Seeing More Dogs Eating Edible Marijuana"

"An animal hospital in Denver is seeing an increasing number of dogs who have eaten edible marijuana and is finding that the diagnosis isn’t good."
VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital is open 24 hours a day and they see hundreds of dogs every week from checkups to emergencies. Since Jan. 1 the clinic says dogs have been getting into their owner’s supply of marijuana, specifically edibles.

“What we are seeing is dogs getting into the baked products,” said Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald.

The concern is that edibles have a concentration of marijuana meant for controlled human consumption and dogs weigh far less than humans and have no control.

There’s no antidote for marijuana but Fitzgerald said those worried about a pet’s recent exposure have a limited amount of time to take action before it’s too late.

“Don’t wait. Your vet is as far away as the telephone,” said Fitzgerald.

Doctors suggest that owners try and keep they’re marijuana out of their pet’s reach.


17 comments:

The Dude said...

I like that - "they're" marijuana.

Yes, yes they are.

Unknown said...

Dogs get into things - sure - but how many pot smokers give Fido a treat and then laugh.

There's a percentage.

ndspinelli said...

Sixty, I have specific pet peeves. But, being a grammarian must be tough. Two of my pet peeves involving my biz are "He was found INNOCENT, AND not knowing the very simple difference between a robbery and a burglary.

AllenS said...

I thought the same thing as April.

Shouting Thomas said...

Dogs always go for the pot, even the raw stuff.

The Dude said...

Hey, I should really let it slide - they were high when they wrote it.

As someone who likes dogs I feel bad for one that is owned by idiots who can't even keep track of their weed. Poor doggies.

bagoh20 said...

Friends will steal your pot - even your best friend. It's not like your dog pays for anything else he wants either. You buy - he takes. That's the deal, dude.

bagoh20 said...

Then again, I have stolen my dogs pain meds before. Luckily she can't count past 2.

Revenant said...

I suspect that what they're seeing isn't "an increase in pets eating marijuana" but "an increase in owners whose pets have eaten marijuana taking the pet to the veterinarian".

After all, previously the owner would have been risking state prosecution.

Trooper York said...

What about all of those dogs that are being sexually molested in Wisconsin?

I hear it is an epidemic.

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

ruh roh...

Icepick said...

Meanwhile, the Crimean seethes and Eric Holder has the vapors.

And all Scooby can do is say, "Whoa, man. I need some Girl Scout cookies."*

* When stoned, Scooby speaks fine American.

ndspinelli said...

LSL lures them w/ cannabis dog biscuits, they're truly Roofies.

Rabel said...

I'm pretty sure that Goofy was high as a kite most of the time.

And if your dog has the munchies, how would you know?

Dust Bunny Queen said...

They're????

/facepalm

ndspinelli said...

Rabel, Lol! Goofy was goofing on my daughter when we were @ Disneyworld 20 years ago. I think I smelled patchouli oil.

The Dude said...

Mickey, you want a divorce because you think Minnie is crazy?

No, I said she's fucking Goofy.

Old jokes are the best.