Saturday, November 16, 2013

Master Chef

Decades ago I was introduced to a group new to me, I think they were remarking on my thinness, how polite, I was always skinny until then, they were asking about habits so I told them and one man known for his bon mots remarked,

"Oh, eat to live then, not live to eat."

That's how he characterized my description of my habits. Living to eat apparently characterized the group I was being introduced to. They all concluded together it wouldn't last long. It never does. For the most part they all started out skinny and grew to be heavy. It's natural. My family thinks that too and says so.  Every one of them is heavy. The phrase that man said to me, smartypants as it is, stuck and left a lasting impression. And this video agrees with the position on food that I've ended up having. 



That's odd. Before when my pants catch on fire like that it starts at the bottom, not the crotch. 

10 comments:

Michael Haz said...

Wow. I was hoping for something with more complexity, like ants on a log.

ricpic said...

In the video one of the chefs is leaning over a pan with his tongue hanging out! A recipe for a bit of his saliva dripping down into the dish he was preparing. That alone should have disqualified him. I wonder whether that sort of thing (a habit that can be corrected if caught) is discouraged or even noticed in cooking academies?

Rabel said...

Great vid, Chip.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

A sprig of mint in your protein shake makes it special.

Chip Ahoy said...

The face on the plate kills me. I've viewed this four times and it kills me each time.

ndspinelli said...

I love cooking, I love cooking shows, and I DESPISE these insipid cooking competition shows. I would watch if there was some bloodshed w/ the winner cutting the throats of the losers. "That would be cool." Beavis. "Yeah, blood all over the pastry, cool." Butthead.

Synova said...

Oh, that was just terrible.

I actually watch a cooking competition once and this woman (the housewife contestant) made a really really great meal and all of the judges loved it and it was fancy and fabulous, to rival the professionals... and then she let slip that the glazed pears for the desert came out of a can before she cooked and glazed them.

The horror!

Synova said...

I like the cooking shows once in a while. I wonder what would happen, though, if instead of 30 minutes from even finding out what the required ingredients were, if the chefs were given an hour to think about it before being allowed to touch a knife.

Fr Martin Fox said...

I watch "Chopped" pretty frequently, and one of the things that the judges often complain about is when one of the contestants doesn't "do enough" with an ingredient.

And I'd so love to have one of those contestants fire back, "well, if you really knew anything about food, you'd realize some things are pretty much perfect the way they are."

Of course, that riposte only works if it's true.

rcocean said...

This is just a ripoff of the original (and better) Japanese show.