Wednesday, November 6, 2013

"‘I want to die running’: Race fall fatal for marathoner, 86"

"An celebrated ocotogenarian runner who loved the sport so much that she proclaimed “I want to die running” suffered a deadly injury when she stumbled during Sunday’s New York City Marathon."
Joy Johnson, 86, of San Jose, Calif., died Monday from complications of blunt trauma to her head and blood-thinning drug therapy for a heart ailment, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office.
Johnson’s death was ruled an accident, spokeswoman Grace Brugess said.
“She said: If I can die running I’ll die happy.”
“When evaluated by our medical team she was strongly advised to allow our Emergency Medical Services team to take her to the hospital for further evaluation, but Joy declined,” said Chris Weiller of NYRR.
A devout Lutheran who ran every day but Sunday so she could attend church, Johnson sang hymns to herself and “thought happy thoughts” to pass the time while running, Anderson said,
Daughter Diana Boydston, 54, said of her mom: “She was always a happy runner — and besides her faith and family, this was something she loved the most.”
NY Post Natasha Velez and Bruce Golding

20 comments:

Shouting Thomas said...

Good for her.

Best to die the way you live.

ndspinelli said...

I want to die eating sausage and peppers.

ndspinelli said...

Watching a ballgame.

ndspinelli said...

With a cold beer.

ndspinelli said...

In my shorts.

ndspinelli said...

Unshaven.

ndspinelli said...

Penniless.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Given Obamacare, it is probably the wise way to go out...

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I'm glad she lived a happy life but someone has to point out that she didn't die running and it looks like that person is me so I'll just apologize right now.

KCFleming said...

She died doing what she loved.

Well, apart from the bleeding brain thingy.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Too much of my inner life comes from movies. I remember seeing Goodfellas for the first time and being horrified when Tommy got shot in the back of the head. That scene grabbed ahold of me and I kept dwelling on it for days and days until it finally dawned on me that Tommy got a death about as painless as is humanly possible and there's precious little possibility that any of us will ever be so lucky.

KCFleming said...

I want to die in my sleep, with the passengers in my car screaming.

Known Unknown said...

Not the same

Known Unknown said...

Nd-

You shouldn't keep the cold beer in your shorts. Makes your nuts numb.

YoungHegelian said...

“When evaluated by our medical team she was strongly advised to allow our Emergency Medical Services team to take her to the hospital for further evaluation, but Joy declined,”

When you're 86 & fall down hard, you always need "further evaluation".

It's sad that there was no one there who could convince her to go to the hospital. But, I guess we all gotta go sometime...

chickelit said...

Sounds like she controlled her own life all the way through.

Brava!

Ignorance is Bliss said...

I can't get to YouTube right now, but this really deserves a link to Monty Python's Meaning of Life, the (very NSFW) scene of the man running off the cliff to his death.

ricpic said...

She was way too happy.

rcocean said...

Poor women, if only she'd more careful she could have lived to be 87

Ignorance is Bliss said...

This is how you die running:

As I said, NSFW.